• Advertisement

Dewalt

For the Tool Junkies among us - Discussions related to any and all tools, equipment, machinery - purchased or home-made, that are used in Outdoor Power Equipment Repairs.

Dewalt

Postby Luffydog » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:30 pm

Anyone tried the battery powered dewalt impact 1/2 drive yet?
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Dewalt

Postby bgsengine » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:43 pm

No , though we do sell Makita and their LXT series tools (one battery that fits over 130 different tools) and especially the brushless ones, are just awesome.. For many years I have always hated cordless tools, they always seemed to be heavy , bulky, and always lose their charge at the worst possible time.. but once you have a couple or three Makita LXT series kits (I got a hammer drill, multi-saw sort of like the rotozip tool, and my dad's cordless trimmer.. and Im thinking seriously about ordering a LXT 3/8 impact driver) .. Well .. all I can say is I am impressed with them.. (even Snap-On couldn't impress me with their cordless tools) That, plus the fact that I have had the same 3/8" corded electric drill from Makita since 1987 and it is *still* in regular daily use in the shop, never even needed brushes for it... So, I guess you could say, I'm a huge fan of Makita.. They are pretty expensive, compared to the cheap china junk you can buy at Home Depot but if you only have to spend $250 every 10 years, instead of $150 every 3 years, I'd say you're getting more bang for the buck with the Makita tools. :)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Luffydog » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:28 am

I have the dewalt I hear to tell they have a lot of balls that I didn't think they would have. It impressed me the other day guy brung a unit in I was out on lunch for an hour and they had been working on it even the 3/4 gun would not break them loose I walked over to my box grabbed it out the man said no way that's going to do it if the others wouldn't put it on and without a strain broke them loose first time it was put to use. Like I said this gun has big balls !!!!
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:48 am

Just be aware that there are multiple versions available like a low range, mid range, and a high torque version. The mid range supposedly has more break away torque (330 ft-lbs) than many low end impact guns and the high torque has a break max break way torque of 1200 ft-lbs which is nearly as good as my Air Cat 1150 which has a 1300 ft-lb max break away torque.

So the best advice if anyone going to purchase one is do your research and make you get the model and max break away torque you desire. I do have one old Dewalt battery drill here that would run rings most other drills.

As for impact I am partial to my Air Cat as long I am with 100 ft of my hose reel. I even carry it out with a 11 cu ft air tank for light operations in the field due it low air consumption and its high torque like when I need to pull a PTO clutch to replace a drive belt. But I have have thought of get one these battery impacts myself but I just trying to avoid on-site work as all my other tools are at the shop.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:58 pm

Yes my is the dcf899m1 model
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Return to The Tool Crib