• Advertisement

HFT Pittsburgh Automotive Leak-down Tester

For the Tool Junkies among us - Discussions related to any and all tools, equipment, machinery - purchased or home-made, that are used in Outdoor Power Equipment Repairs.

HFT Pittsburgh Automotive Leak-down Tester

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:02 am

Pittsburgh Automotive- item#62595 Review

Well I decided to try out this leak-down. I have use it several times already and I am pleased at the result I get at the regulated pressure of about 12-15 psi this unit uses when compared to the 100 psi many leak-down testers use. At this lower pressure you can actually hold the engine by hand at TDC or rotate it through its cycles. The only draw back is that the escaping air noise is much quieter.

The latest engine I tested it found a leaky exhaust valve that appeared fully closed at TDC on 130000 series L-head on a log splitter that was stalling when splitting wood. The engine was running good off load and even powered the hydraulics to split some wood but just not the tougher splits.

I did the test before opening the cylinder. I was hoping it was just a clearance problem but I was nearly at spec; therefore, the valve would not even rotate when I tried it. Once the valve was removed you could see that it was not closing properly for a good while. I would have just lapped the valve but due valve stem wear and the damaged valve guide I am replacing the valve and guide.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: HFT Pittsburgh Automotive Leak-down Tester

Postby Dale_W » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:11 pm

Hello KE4AVB

It has been almost 2 years since you posted this review. Are you still happy with the #62595 HFT leak down tester?

Online reviews are interesting. Many happy people. Many people admitting that you really need to read the directions.

I will soon be working on Briggs model 33R8 77 0008 G1, serial 14 0325 ZD 21021 that is blowing a LOT of smoke thru the exhaust. A LOT.

I really only see me as using this tester on single (maybe 2) cylinder engines.

This model goes for $25 at HFT. HFT sells a MADDOX leak down tester for $80. I am thinking for what I want to diagnose (likely blown head gasket) the $25 model you reviewed should be fine.
Thoughts?

What advantages would their be in the $80 model?

Thanks

Dale
Dale_W
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:15 pm

From what I can tell the Maddox is operated at 100 psi regulated input and you must convert the output into percentage of leakage where the cheaper unit that I have operates around 12psi regulated and output gauge is mark in percentage of leakage rate. Also a drawback for me is that the flywheel must be locked in place with the higher pressure unit.

With either one you do want start at zero regulated pressure and set to the current pressure before performing the tests. On the cheaper you must remember to back off the regulated pressure before storage or you can damage the output gauge. On my first unit I did destroy the output gauge by pegging it out. Now as time as passed its replacement is still working fine except for a minor pressure creep of the cheaper regulator.

What I find nice about the cheaper unit is the lower working pressure allows me to test the complete cylinder stroke of an OHV engine without having to lock in place the flywheel where with the higher pressure it becomes impossible to hold the flywheel by hand. I have found several tapered cylinders with the lower test pressure.

This just my opinion and other may have different opinion.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Dale_W » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:46 am

Thank you. A working mans opinion is pretty much all I was looking for.
I think this unit will do fine for me and my needs.

Thanks again

Dale
Dale_W
Guide

Postby 38racing » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:06 pm

38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:31 am

Whatever you do don't buy the Azuno Digital Compression tester especially if you work on small hand held equipment. I did as a test and because it was low priced. Terrible results on a 23 cc engine. The image below is the test results. Actually my Actron read 110 psi before I bumped the release valve, even with the reading of 90+ psi is a lot better than 17.5 psi.
The main problem is the placement of the check valve and there no way to move it or to connect a different due fitting size.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:09 am

what's your actron part number.
This one seems to have release at gauge.
https://www.amazon.ca/Actron-CP7827-Com ... B0006V2BRS
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:06 am

Mine is the CP7828A which they have now add long reach metal tube for 14mm. But looking up the images of the CP7827 it does have the Schrader valve at the end of the hose too for compression testing. I would assume the metal long reach tube would have the Schrader valve at the plug end too. That side valve is just a pressure release after you get through testing so you can depressurize the gauge. You use it or just pop the hose at the coupler.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to The Tool Crib