• Advertisement

digital torque adapter

For the Tool Junkies among us - Discussions related to any and all tools, equipment, machinery - purchased or home-made, that are used in Outdoor Power Equipment Repairs.

digital torque adapter

Postby 38racing » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:25 pm

Has anyone tried these? I was thinking of get the acdelco one from amazon.ca.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: digital torque adapter

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:31 am

Hmmm, Just done a little research done on these. The ACDELCO ARM601-4 has only a 99 ft-lb upper limit but does a lower minimum limit of 4 ft-lbs. Now the Kobalt 80720 has a lower limit of 12.5 ft-lbs and an upper limit of 250 ft-lbs @ only 70 usd more. Of course there are digital adapters that can be used with pull bars too.

All of these are fairly expensive especially compared to my 10 usd Harbor Freight clicker torque wrenches. But dropping 200 usd is a big drop in the bucket for me just to go to digital. For me I am willing to pay more for the 3/4 600 ft-lbs clicker torque wrench; even the 3/4 300 ft-lb one I currently cost more than the 6 HF [3 RH and 3 LH] ones put to together. Now for the price of the digital 1/2 Kobalt 250 ft-lbs digital I can get the Performance Tool M204 3/4 100-600 ft-lbs clicker. Now the Wright Tool 6448 is nearly 3X the price. Since I seldom need more than 300 ft-lbs LH so I would just convert the 3/4 300 ft-lbs to full time LH if I do get the 3/4 600 ft-lbs. Anyway that will need to be in the Summer at the earliest for me.

Plus even through I like the digital versions of my other clickers I been having a lot failure of the digital equipment. This may be due the temperatures that they are stored at as the shop during the Winter does drop to below freezing temps.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:46 pm

ACDelco ARM602-4 1/2-Inch Torque Measurement Adapter, 4-147.6-Feet Pound
Would cost me 85 $cdn from Amazon
Or a titan from princessauto for 70$cdn
. It swivels up to 240° and features a 30 to 150 ft-lb range, 180° flip screen, preset torque value and memory setting.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby SUKI » Fri May 27, 2022 7:43 am

Well I pulled the trigger and brought a Digital torque adapter here. It works as design although it will take some time to get the feel for it. Personally I prefer the clicker type toque wrench overall. The beeper will take some getting use to as I have over the setting several times already. Also it is a little unstable at high torque settings mechanically but also happen on regular clickers with extensions. It was quite unstable using to torque an electric PTO last week both I had my full using my clutch holding tool with wrench and the digital torque adapter with pull bar. Now of course I was laying on the driveway on my side underneath the ZTR at the time.

So I brought and took back two HFT torque wrenches. Both had scales that didn't even align properly. This is unlike the ones I brought over 7 yrs ago from them. But I had two of them to fail which is why I was buying replacements. I had returned them before I got the digital convertor so I just don;t which they were off when the scales were aligned.

I ended up buying two Lexivon 10-150 1/2" ones. I check both using the adapter and they were one the mark at 20 ft/lbs. I couldn't get a straight answer if it would void the warranty if I converted one to LH version so if it breaks I would need to convert it back before returning for warranty service. Both are registered for the two year warranty but I doubt I will be needing it. Not real sure of the painted scales holding up but they are electro bake clear coat finished.

The conversion of the LX-183 from RH to LH is dead simple and does not affect the accuracy of the unit. According emails from Lexivon the wrench can't be converted but they are just hiding the fact so they can sell the more expensive LH ones. Both test pulls were the same click point. Set at 20 ft/lbs and clicked at 20 ft/lbs according the digital adapter.

Now I got three LH torque wrenches and 4 RH. Now I can if ever needed temporary convert the 3/4 one too. Just note not all torque clickers can be converted due to design but many will including the HFT ones.

Oh well back to bushhogging my face before work today. :lol: I shave only a couple times every week.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to The Tool Crib