• Advertisement

Tiny Tach TT2B Replacement?

For the Tool Junkies among us - Discussions related to any and all tools, equipment, machinery - purchased or home-made, that are used in Outdoor Power Equipment Repairs.

Tiny Tach TT2B Replacement?

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:27 am

I have been having problems with my last Tiny Tach that I brought last February. It keeps locking up by going blank and with even the instructions on how to reset it is only getting worst about it. Is there a reliable replacement that members here have found to work. It seems especially affect by the Stihl cycles. First they said it was too sensitive and had me to nearly cutoff the pickup antenna and now I having to use an Exacto knife to reset it every few weeks. Lately it is just giving false reading.

Strange my first Tiny Tach worked great until battery failure.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Tiny Tach TT2B Replacement?

Postby bgsengine » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:16 am

shop around for a better price on the Echo PET-304 https://www.amazon.com/Oppama-Pulse-Eng ... B008G48TXC mine's still going strong and trouble-free 8 years and counting.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:32 pm

I going to try to get the Husqvarna PET-304. My vendor is listing cost @ $57 but it is not at the warehouse and would need to be order from Husqvarna. Or I could get it thru Shindaiwa for $71 with shipping.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:50 pm

KE4AVB wrote:I going to try to get the Husqvarna PET-304. My vendor is listing cost @ $57 but it is not at the warehouse and would need to be order from Husqvarna. Or I could get it thru Shindaiwa for $71 with shipping.

Yeah. Echo dealer cost on those is around $46 or $47.. so $57 isn't bad at all.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:26 am

That what I was thinking. Different OEMs do have different pricing structures. Just as you said shop around for the best deal for the identical product as many item are just over priced rebadged items. The important part here is getting a tachometer that I can rely on especially on tuning these engine at 10K - 14.5K rpms. I think Tiny Tach just rebadged some Chinese junk tachs lately.

This rebadging I ran into years ago in electronics where manufactures would intentionally remove the imprints on some they could sell at a much higher cost claiming propriety designs. Or just cut a leg off a dual line chip so an added function wasn't available. They didn't think there was engineers that read schematics and technical product manuals.

Anyway I get one on order Monday from RBI so I can have it before the busy season start here. Besides I need to order a spool of Oregon 1/4" chain for the Stihl pruners.

BTW while I am thinking of it Stihl has changed the 4180 engines a lot outside the engine core. Just ran into the redesigned version this week and had to get the new IPL and SM for the FS91R even though it is the same basic FS90R 4180 engine design as parts are not interchangeable.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to The Tool Crib