• Advertisement

Drill Bit Reccomendations?

For the Tool Junkies among us - Discussions related to any and all tools, equipment, machinery - purchased or home-made, that are used in Outdoor Power Equipment Repairs.

Drill Bit Reccomendations?

Postby Dale_W » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:51 pm

I did a search here, and just found one thread, for a drill doctor.

For twist drill bits, what brand do you use most? General purpose, mostly drilling in ferrous and non-ferrous metals.

I know bits won't last forever, but I'd like to find some that are worth my trip to the store.

Thanks

Dale
Dale_W
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Drill Bit Reccomendations?

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:39 pm

The drill bits that I have been using the last few years are from Fastenal and are very good at staying sharp. Now of course I have dull a few of them but usually drill hard steel and very deep. The ones I got from Lowes were nothing but crap couldn't even drill the first hole in a piece of angle iron (Bed rail) without dulling.

Now you do need to go slow with the bits to keep from overheating them.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 51cub » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:19 pm

Where I used to work we had real good luck with Lawson. It's a fact that they're not going to be the cheapest ones you'll find. For everyday at home I just use what I get at the hardware store, or hand me downs from my good set. When I want it right, or especially if I'm drilling a bolt out, I use a good set that I have set aside that I try to keep Lawson in. Another one I've heard only good things about is Partsmaster. I haven't used them myself so no idea what to tell you about price but I don't guess they're real inexpensive either
51cub

Postby Dale_W » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:48 pm

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you both!
Dale_W
Guide

Postby 38racing » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:17 am

I bought a set of Walter bits based on donyboy73 on YouTube. Haven't concluded yet if they were worth the price.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:28 am

I have Walter bits, the best I have ever used. NOBODY borrows them! :D
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby TimB » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:21 am

KE4AVB I use bed rail angle a lot for little projects. I think they are made from recycled steel and have a lot of hard spots in them. Not defending bits you got from Lowes, but you may have just been drilling through a hard spot.

I bought a set of 6 carbide bits that I use on those bed rails now, just in case.
TimB

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:08 am

Actually the materials that I drill the Lowe's bits fail everytime. The replacement bits I got from Fastenal are still going fairly well after 5 yrs. Of course a few have been re-sharpen as they wear but usually after a few dozen holes unlike the first bits that wouldn't even make it through the first hole without dulling.

Currently the only drill bits I buy are the ones that don't have like the set of left hand bit I looking at for screw extraction but I may just get them with regular extractors from McMasters-Carr.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:51 pm

RoyM wrote:I have Walter bits, the best I have ever used. NOBODY borrows them! :D

I should have noted that I bought a used set so no idea how much they might have been used.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bertsmobilerepairs » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:38 am

You need to look closely at the instructions for information about how they were made.
The best are cold forged and UNCOATED.
Coated bits are throw away items as once the coating has worn through they are rubbish as the base steel is too soft .
bertsmobilerepairs

Return to The Tool Crib