• Advertisement

Ultrasonic Cleaners

For the Tool Junkies among us - Discussions related to any and all tools, equipment, machinery - purchased or home-made, that are used in Outdoor Power Equipment Repairs.

Ultrasonic Cleaners

Postby lefty » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:16 pm

I've been thinking about one of these for a while now. There are so many out there. All that I've seen have mixed reviews. I was wondering if someone would be willing to recommend a brand. I'd like to be able to clean 1-2 carbs at a time. My gut tells me 3 liters should be more than enough. Maybe smaller?

Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Ultrasonic Cleaners

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:43 pm

Already depends what you are planning to clean. I started out with a 3L then a 6L and now for the last 4 yrs a 10 L unit. You also don't want to crowd the tank. The Kendall 3L unit was simply too small to handle the Briggs tank mounted horizontal carbs. The 6L was better but I have found the 10L the most useful for my operation.

As for a brand mine are more of a generic type out of Canada.

One thing to watch out for is that you make sure the heaters are turned off before draining.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:45 pm

My son and I have used this one for about 8 years now with very good results. Keep in mind, however, we are only garage hacks and do not do that many carbs. I don't know if it would hold up for the demand and rigors of the daily use in a professional shop. One challenge we have is that if your cleaning one of the old Briggs "Pulsa-Jet" carbs with the long fuel pick up tube you will not be able to submerge it completely and you will have to periodically rotate it (which was no big deal for us), which I believe KE4AVB was alluding to.
Michael
https://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter- ... 63256.html
creia
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:57 pm

Thank you for the suggestions. I do this as a hobby/side gig as well so it may be a good start for me.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:00 pm

creia wrote:My son and I have used this one for about 8 years now with very good results. Keep in mind, however, we are only garage hacks and do not do that many carbs. I don't know if it would hold up for the demand and rigors of the daily use in a professional shop. One challenge we have is that if your cleaning one of the old Briggs "Pulsa-Jet" carbs with the long fuel pick up tube you will not be able to submerge it completely and you will have to periodically rotate it (which was no big deal for us), which I believe KE4AVB was alluding to.
Michael
https://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter- ... 63256.html

Exactly.

Note on that HFT unit it has a 60W transducer the rest of the wattage is the heater. I am currently a 180w transducer setup (300 total wattage with heater before I fried the heater) but I am also cleaning ATV carburetors which require more space.

The HFT unit also a 8 minute max timer as compared to my current unit which has a 30 minute timer. The HFT unit is nearly identical to the Kendall unit I first started with.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:57 pm

I have just the small 2.5 litre. Heater no longer works. Not sure if it's a self repair. I boil the water I put into it.
38racing
Forum Pro

Return to The Tool Crib