• Advertisement

Oregon 410-120 saw chain grinder

For the Tool Junkies among us - Discussions related to any and all tools, equipment, machinery - purchased or home-made, that are used in Outdoor Power Equipment Repairs.

Re: Oregon 410-120 saw chain grinder

Postby bobodu » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:53 am

Quite honestly...since my saws rarely leave the property....I LOVE my HFT grinder.
I don't think it has ever been true that HFT tools are meant for professionals.
I personally wouldn't recommend anyone spend $4500 for a good over/under to shoot a few bunnies.
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:37 am

Bob, Sometimes some users are lucky or just not as picky as others. Here I had a HF unit too that went into File 13 due multiple problems with alignments. Even with me modding it, it still had problems getting to hold cutters to sharpen. I finally got one of the Oregon sharpeners and been rather pleased with the results. It is especially useful with the odd Stihl chain angles. I still have too the 10 degree down angle instead of the Stihl 15 degree down angle. But being to go from 55 degree Oregon chain head tilt to the 70 degree head tilt for Stihl chains is useful. If I was able to do that I would be hitting the depth gauges on the Stihl chains that I recently sharpen.

I do have some slight burring on the left hand cutters but just matter of using a lighter touch when sharpening. to reduce that.

Now the HF unit I had did have a very good grinding disc which I kept for the die grinder.

BTW I prefer a .22 for rabbits; a lot less shot to deal with later or better yet a good air rifle. But now I did have fellow hunter's son that used a 12 gauge and shot off the hind quarters everytime. To me that is the best part of the rabbit.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bertsmobilerepairs » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 am

SUKI wrote:Well I getting use to using this grinder and finding a lot faster once I got use to making settings. I only problem was finding .030 gauge tool but AVB ordered the minimum from Oregon which was 10 of of them. They are a lot easier to use instead that little plastic gauge Oregon provided with the grinder. Sure makes doing chains a lot easier when you got the right tools. I did find it strange that even the local Stihl dealer didn't have a 0.030 tool.

The thing that is a little bit of a pain is having change out the grinding wheels. I might get a couple more units just so I don't have to change discs but that is a lot further down the road.

If you have not thrown it out yet, set up the HP plastic fantastic to do nothing but the rakers
THis saves a lot of messing around changing wheels
And be careful changing wheels as it is easy to hold them slightly off centre the when you tighten the retainer you chip the mounting hole and the wheel becomes toast .
I have 2 grinders and have done this makes doing chains so much easier.
As I mostly do domestic chains they all get ground the same because it is easier for me and most of the blades come back rounded because they don't know the difference between a chain saw and a Ditch Witch .
Just this week I took advice from another forum and counter ground the raking wheel with an old worn out .325 wheel so it grinds the rakers round as they were originally .
Looks so much better than the flat angled cut but the grinder still needs to touch the raker at an angle to prevent shuddering
Finally lightness is the way to go
I some times run a chain through 3 to 8 times before all of the cutters are the same length
bertsmobilerepairs

Postby SUKI » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:18 pm

That HF grinder has long gone (nearly two years now). Beside with HF a fixed the stone would chip quite easily with that mush of bevel grind. 55 degrees is a lot.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to The Tool Crib