• Advertisement

Cordless Impact Wrench Delima

For the Tool Junkies among us - Discussions related to any and all tools, equipment, machinery - purchased or home-made, that are used in Outdoor Power Equipment Repairs.

Cordless Impact Wrench Delima

Postby dunoon2 » Fri May 07, 2021 7:43 pm

I'm having a delima regarding my impact wrench. I have a mobile mower maintance service and use my impact wrench everyday. My Dewalt went tits up yesterday so I started looking for a replacement. All my power tools are Dewalt cordless using 18v batteries, most of my tools are approx 10 years old I'd like to stick with Dewalt but was wondering if it might be time to change. The only new dewalt stuff are 20 v. Shame I can't get an adapter that goes using a 20v tool with an 18v battery I've got 7 18v batteries that are nearly new. So Has anyone had any experience with Ryoby, Bauer, kobalt etc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
dunoon2
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Cordless Impact Wrench Delima

Postby bgsengine » Fri May 07, 2021 8:16 pm

I'd suggest Makita 18V LXT .. or check with dewalt about possibly trading in your 18v batteries for 20v stuff - They might be interested in retaining a customer.. They also make stanley black & decker, craftsman so you might find 18v tools in those that might possibly use the dewalt batteries? But if it was me, I'd pick Makita - Ive been using them for years and they have been enormously reliable - I still have my 30-plus years old corded electric drill and it has never needed repairs, and still runs strong (Although it could probably do with a new keyless chuck, old one is starting to come apart..) and I like the 18V LXT series as they use the same batteries in their X2 (2 18v batteries to make 36v tools) and they have a massive selection of tools that all use the same batteries...

That said, same advice I would give anyone else - when you go cordless, try to plan on picking just ONE brand or system, research them to see if they are always "upgrading" batteries (and discontinuing old ones) as in the long term, if you pick wrong, or make an unlucky bet on an otherwise great brand (as you've found with Dewalt going to 20v and dropping the 18v) your biggest expense long term is gonna be batteries if they stop making the tools for the older systems.. (wouldn't surprise me if Makita eventually drops 18v / 36v in favor of 20v/40v too, so I keep an eye out for any "blowout sales" .. if they start to happen, I plan on buying a bunch of duplicates and some extra batteries... )
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby hanz63 » Sat May 08, 2021 9:55 am

They get you hooked in. No matter what you get, you will eventually end up adding to the wrench. My stuff is all M18 Milwaukee. Their 1/2" and 1/4" impacts are tough to beat. Stronger than most pneumatic wrenches on the big 1/2", then they have compacts too. 4 1/2" grinders work well and for a long time. I use their oscillating tool for deck scraping on the tough ones. If you are into ratchets, I think they are all M12. Have a few saws too. When given the choice, stick with at least the 5.0 batteries.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Mon May 10, 2021 9:47 am

Just a thought...
If you really liked the Dewalt and with all of those extra batteries you have (which is a significant cost) you COULD stay with that brand. You can still get the Dewalt 18V on eBay. While most of them are used, there are some new ones listed as well- you just have to scroll the listings.
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Return to The Tool Crib