• Advertisement

Compressor Question

For the Tool Junkies among us - Discussions related to any and all tools, equipment, machinery - purchased or home-made, that are used in Outdoor Power Equipment Repairs.

Compressor Question

Postby bill18163 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:08 am

I have a question about a compressor I just put into service. It's a DeWalt 5HP 80 Gal two stage model #DXCMV5048055. I know I might be intruding into the wrong type of forum but I'm pretty sure there are people on this forum that have compressors possibly like mine that might know the answer to my question. So here goes. When this compressor is fired up and running to fill the tank there is air blowing out from behind the on-off switch at a connection going into the back of the switch. I looked at a parts break out drawing on DeWalt's web site and there is a tube that goes to the back of the switch called a bleeder line. This is where the connection is that blows out air when the compressor is running to fill up. While the compressor is just starting to fill there is no air blowing out. As the charging process continues onward, air starts to bleed out of a small hole at the connection on the back of the switch. When the charging process really gets going there is a LOT of air blowing out of that small hole in the back of the switch. Then as the tank approaches the point when it is almost filled, the air bleeding starts to slow down and when the unit shuts off and the tank is fully charged there is no air blowing from that little hole. I suspect that this is a normal function of the compressor but I don't understand it. Does anyone know why this happens?
bill18163

Advertisement

Re: Compressor Question

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:27 am

First I am jealous now as I am still using a 25 gallon setup.

IF system is design as mine is then something isn't working right as that should just bleed off when the compressor shuts down. ON mine there is a release valve in the relay assembly that gets activated when the relay is at rest. I had to replace the bleeder line several years ago as it develop a hole in it.

You may need to contact DeWalt about it.

I did move this topic to the Tool Crib but I left a shadow link behind so anyone clicking on the topic will be forward to the tool crib topic.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Re: Compressor Question

Postby RoyM » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:32 pm

It sounds like the unloader in the pressure switch is failing. It should only release air when the machine shuts down thereby relieving pressure, this reduces load and current draw when it restarts.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Return to The Tool Crib