• Advertisement

Sockets for square plugs. (4 pt)

For the Tool Junkies among us - Discussions related to any and all tools, equipment, machinery - purchased or home-made, that are used in Outdoor Power Equipment Repairs.

Sockets for square plugs. (4 pt)

Postby 38racing » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:34 pm

The 6 point don't work but 8 does. Someone claimed that 12 pt work because 12 is a multiple of 4. I think that is incorrect as 12 is an odd multiple of 4. I'm thinking any even multiple might work. Any thoughts? Canadian tire has a 72 point socket set on sale and I might buy if it handles the square plugs.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Sockets for square plugs. (4 pt)

Postby bgsengine » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:25 am

72 point socket set? might as well just be pieces of pipe... I think you meant 72-PIECE 12 point socket set.. and no a 12-point socket will NOT fit a 4-point square plug - as you said, it is an ODD multiple of 4 So, you'd only want to get 4-point, 8-point (4x2) 16-point (4x4, but then we reach the point of uselessness as that many finely cut teeth on smaller size sockets would simply strip away under torque) for square drive plugs.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby RoyM » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:52 am

Can you use a short socket drive extension with an adjustable 9/16?
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:20 pm

Dummy me. The circle showing 72 points isn't the socket. It's the ratchet that has 72 teeth. Regular 100$ on for 40 at Canadian tire. An 83 year old widow friend insists on paying me for cutting grass. I'm figuring maybe dinner out for my wife and a non essential tool for me.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:07 am

As BGS suggest anything above 8 point for a 4 point square pipe plug is unless as it just rounds off the corners. I got a few small 8 point sockets but I would like a set for the larger ones myself. So far I haven't found a set just individual sockets but at least I am finding the 4 point ones which I would prefer anyways on Amazon but 8 point are more common. Just not a fan of using more points than needed which why most of my sockets are 6 point ones.

Here is a SAE set 8 points I did find available on Amazon. Not cheap though.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunex-2858-2-Inch-8-Point-13-Piece/dp/B003XIJ82M/ref=sr_1_6?crid=B7V5YV2KBISA&dchild=1&keywords=8+point+socket+set&qid=1631016795&sprefix=8+point+socket%2Caps%2C187&sr=8-6

I currently more interest in 22mm and 23mm deep well thin wall impact sockets. I just ran into a need for a 22mm; although, I got by with a 7/8" this time around. I just about forget the 23mm I needed on a JD a few years ago.

It always seem that I keep running into need for tools that I don't have for a job. It is conspiracy by manufactures just to keep me buying tools. :lol: It sorta like me having #4 Phillips (cross point) bits a few weeks ago. I had brought some spares of that size and strangely I done sold of them all but one. Oh well I just some on my next McMaster/Carr order. The largest over the counter ones around here is a #3. I was needing ones that I could use with my impact for removing those steering shaft screws on MTDs.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:19 pm

I'm trying to figure out why mtd used the philips head on those steering shafts. I've used my hand impact on them. I've replaced with hex head bolt and wondered if I shouldn't have.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:05 am

38racing wrote:I'm trying to figure out why mtd used the philips head on those steering shafts. I've used my hand impact on them. I've replaced with hex head bolt and wondered if I shouldn't have.
they used the phillips head screws for drive belt clearance - other fastener heads sat a little too high and rubbed the drive belt in that exact spot. just shows you how MTD does seat-of-the-pants engineering. Other versions that didn't use the screw also had different drive belt configurations, slightly changed frames, etc...
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:29 pm

Considering what MTD wants for the 710-1309. My vendor is asking $2.50 each for them I can't blame anyone wanting to use the 5/16-18 x 3/4 hex head screws. Now I do have a source for the pan head screws which the last ones costed $6.10 for 25 [a little under 0.25 each] plus shipping which was very reasonable. Just got to add a little blue Loctite to threads. You might wonder why I order the 25 M8-1.25 JIS nuts; it because they use a 12mm socket and is required for clearance on Kawasaki v-twin exhaust. Getting the standard 13 mm socket in there is a real pain.

The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to The Tool Crib