• Advertisement

Block heaters

For the Tool Junkies among us - Discussions related to any and all tools, equipment, machinery - purchased or home-made, that are used in Outdoor Power Equipment Repairs.

Block heaters

Postby 51cub » Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:18 pm

Has anybody here tried those silicone pads for warming small engine blocks? I found one link to them from here in a search but nothing about if they work decent. Is there a good way to warm the oil in a generator or snowblower or anything that normally gets used in winter?
51cub

Advertisement

Re: Block heaters

Postby bgsengine » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:18 pm

if you use winter weight 5w30, cannot imagine why one might want a block heater, unless it is a diesel. It would not really make much difference in small engines most of which will hold less than a quart of oil anyhow.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby RoyM » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:59 pm

What temperatures are you dealing with? If the machine is stored at below 0 Fahrenheit 0W30 might be the answer, otherwise 5W30 should work well. For heat hang a 60W light beside the engine and cover with a blanket ensuring it doesn't come in contact with the bulb.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby SUKI » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:04 am

That is if you can find a 60W incandescent light bulb. I went to Walmart the other day for a couple 75w bulbs for a generator re-magnetization project and all they had were LED versions.

And I use 60w bulbs for keeping hatch-lings warm. The Quail got to stay right @ 100F for the first month.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby 51cub » Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:19 pm

Thanks, everybody. I'm thinking pretty much all the same things. I don't know what he had in it for oil. It's been cold enough that from what he told me the first thing I thought was the oil is too thick to pull it over. I don't know if he brought it inside, not that unless it's a heated garage it would have made much difference. If I can help it I want to get to his house, figure out what he needs and get out. I'm thinking if I can't pull it over I won't ever get anywhere with it.Thanks again
51cub

Postby mr-moe » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:06 am

Maybe it doesn't have any oil in it?
Moe Fretz
Retired Small Engine mechanic, Ag tech, Auto tech.
mr-moe
Forum Regular

Return to The Tool Crib