• Advertisement

Briggs 19522 C-Ring removal tool????

For the Tool Junkies among us - Discussions related to any and all tools, equipment, machinery - purchased or home-made, that are used in Outdoor Power Equipment Repairs.

Briggs 19522 C-Ring removal tool????

Postby Arkie » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:19 am

I bought some small engines tools in a pile at a yard sale and one of the tools is a 19522 C-ring removal tool for starters. When I went to use it on a Briggs starter it would not fit. :o
I had been just using the screwdrivwer method of removing the clips and was pleasantly surprised AT FIRST when I seen the tool but not smiling for long. :(

When I got to searching on-line it appears their is a Style 1 for Tecumseh starters and a Style 2 for Briggs starters. (maybe??)

It appears that maybe a style 2 is the more desirable and can probably be used on both Tecumseh and Briggs starters.

Mine looks like the picture of a Style one.
Noticed that Briggs has same part number for Style 1 and Style 2. (and no mention of a style one or 2 using their reference part number.
Anyone had any experience with this tool as to Style 1 and Style 2???

Here are two links to view the two styles of the tool. You might have to use Google chrome for the links to operate. Microsoft edge browser sometimes no fly.

At Repair clinic it shows a picture of the Style 2 but in the instruction sheet it shows a style 1.
I asked them by chat which one they are selling and they said a style 1. I suspect they do not actually know for sure. If the link does not work just use the 1639041 part number at repair clinic to see the info.
https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail ... 22/1639041

Note in this video the instructions he is looking at is for style 2 but he is using a style 1 on the Tecumseh starter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybLyPpdVuoQ
Last edited by Arkie on Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Briggs 19522 C-Ring removal tool????

Postby bgsengine » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:23 pm

Links not working? Only ever had one style myself, and used it on everything that used a c-ring clip so it worked on all machines (Some took a little fiddling to get the tool to "catch" on the ring ends, but likely because the ends were a bit rounded off)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Arkie » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:00 pm

bgsengine wrote:Links not working? Only ever had one style myself, and used it on everything that used a c-ring clip so it worked on all machines (Some took a little fiddling to get the tool to "catch" on the ring ends, but likely because the ends were a bit rounded off)

Did you know that their is a style 1 and style 2?

The style 2 has a larger 1/2 round opening so as the Briggs starter washer under the c-clip will fit into the opening. It appears that maybe the style 2 could be used on both Briggs and Tecumseh where as the style 1 won't allow enough room to grasp the C-Clip with the jaws.
You can see the difference in the opening when you start comparing the tool. Seems strange that Briggs does not even mention a style 1 and style 2

I don't know why the links won't C/P
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:51 pm

Arkie wrote:
bgsengine wrote:Links not working? Only ever had one style myself, and used it on everything that used a c-ring clip so it worked on all machines (Some took a little fiddling to get the tool to "catch" on the ring ends, but likely because the ends were a bit rounded off)

Did you know that their is a style 1 and style 2?

The style 2 has a larger 1/2 round opening so as the Briggs starter washer under the c-clip will fit into the opening. It appears that maybe the style 2 could be used on both Briggs and Tecumseh where as the style 1 won't allow enough room to grasp the C-Clip with the jaws.
You can see the difference in the opening when you start comparing the tool. Seems strange that Briggs does not even mention a style 1 and style 2

I don't know why the links won't C/P

Edit: No, wasnt aware of the 2 styles, however I WAS aware that the tools had updated a few times, but kept the same part number - So "style 1" is more likely just an older original version of the tool, style 2 is the updated improved version.

Must be I had style 2 - sort of like a 2-jaw gear puller but with recess to pull the clip open , the one I have always had did have an opening that would fit on the little lip of the starter retainer collar (they have a small 1/16" lip or ledge to them) that you would be able to press the collar down to fully expose the C-Clip. Only times I had trouble at first was when the collar was "strongly" locked to the clip (recess in collar would fit over clip) , finally learned to support bottom of starter (on the end of the shaft or the bearing,) and use the c-clip installer tool to drive the collar fully down off the c-clip first , then the rest was a breeze (except when I had to file the clips a bit to give the jaws something to grip) The trick to using either style really is getting full access to the c-clip (and orienting the notch in the anvil that the c-clip fits in properly) Especially on the spring loaded drives that kept pushing the retainer collar back up over the c-clip , which I guess is when style 2 came into play.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Arkie » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:50 am

I updated the links in my first post and they seem to link ok now so as to view both styles.
I had to do the C/P from google chrome for the links instead of using Microsoft edge.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:11 pm

Arkie wrote:
At Repair clinic it shows a picture of the Style 2 but in the instruction sheet it shows a style 1.
I asked them by chat which one they are selling and they said a style 1. I suspect they do not actually know for sure. If the link does not work just use the 1639041 part number at repair clinic to see the info.
https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail ... 22/1639041

That should be current production OEM Briggs tool, I believe- It is exactly like mine. As far as the briggs tool OEM goes, there's no "style" per se - But I do believe they had revisions to the tool, so copies of the older version might be what others are calling "Style 1"

I have yet to see any picture of what you refer to as Style 1 , only pictures I have seen really was the same as the one on repairclinic, which is identical to mine.

Update to add: Boyyy, theirs must be gold plated.. Mine only cost like $30 from distributor back when I got it.
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Arkie » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:29 pm

If you look close at the picture of the one on the left and then the one in the picture on the right at the repair clinic link, [b][color=#0000FF]they are not the same at the front opening where the push plunger comes out of the tool.[/color][/b] Mine doe not have the wide opening in front where the plunger comes out and all is fixed. By fixed I mean no internal (inside) jaws that protrude on mine like is seen in the picture on the left

The picture on the left at the front is different than the one on the right side picture with the instructions. Mine is like picture of the one in the instructions on the right and appears to be termed style 1.

Repair clinic also got confused when I asked them which one they are actually selling and SHE guessed it was style 1 because that is what the picture and the instruction sheet says,

I suspect mine is like you indicate an old style 1 and Briggs changed (updated) the design to style 2 so as it would work on both Tecumseh and Briggs starters and Briggs just left the part number the same and vendors selling the tools do not even know of a difference. (or care)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:21 pm

Arkie wrote:If you look close at the picture of the one on the left and then the one in the picture on the right at the repair clinic link, [b][color=#0000FF]they are not the same at the front opening where the push plunger comes out of the tool.[/color][/b] Mine doe not have the wide opening in front where the plunger comes out and all is fixed. By fixed I mean no internal (inside) jaws that protrude on mine like is seen in the picture on the left

The picture on the left at the front is different than the one on the right side picture with the instructions. Mine is like picture of the one in the instructions on the right and appears to be termed style 1.
)

Pictures are of the same thing, just opposite sides of the tool. Picture of the actual tool is the "down" side of it when in use (it faces away from you when using it) , the picture in the instruction sheet is the "up" side (what you'd see while using it) but it is the same tool. Read the whole instruction sheet - that side of the sheet shows how to use it for "Style 1" of the STARTER (there's a couple variations of the starter retainer that uses c-clips, not styles of tools)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Arkie » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:24 am

This tool has the same jaw opening on each side. About 9/16 wide, 1/2 opening and is not like the one in the picture as you point out.
This is apparently not a Briggs 19522 tool because it can only be used on the type c-ring starters that the washer under the clip can be moved down the starter shaft for tool jaw clearance.

There was also a C-ring installer 19435 in the pile so I thought that this was the 19522 tool.

I now see that is IS NOT a Briggs 19522 tool. Just looks like such at a casual glance. :( :o :bricks:

Thanks for the info.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:34 pm

One question for both of you. Does the removal destroys the ring? Never used it myself nor even bother to order one.

As for installation tool that one I got and it works very well.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to The Tool Crib