• Advertisement

Briggs 19522 C-Ring removal tool????

For the Tool Junkies among us - Discussions related to any and all tools, equipment, machinery - purchased or home-made, that are used in Outdoor Power Equipment Repairs.

Re: Briggs 19522 C-Ring removal tool????

Postby Arkie » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:24 pm

KE4AVB wrote:One question for both of you. Does the removal destroys the ring? Never used it myself nor even bother to order one.

As for installation tool that one I got and it works very well.

The instructions with the tool and also in the engine starter service manuals say to ALWAYS install a new c-ring each time it's removed.
If guy just kept cranking on the removal tool it will bend the ring out for removal sideways on the shaft rather than sliding off the end of the shaft. Over bending by opening the c-clip with the tool more than is actually necessary will have tendency to weaken the c-clip when bent back in for re-use.
I've re-used the old c-ring with good results after I carefully bent it back in for a tight friction fit over the shaft before it's driven into place when I removed it by sliding it up and off the shaft

Seen somewhere awhile back in a forum where a guy indicated he was taking the clothes line spring steel clips and making c-rings. I have not tried such because i try to keep couple extras around for the ones that go flying and I faintly hear them hit somewhere in the far corner of the shop. :oops:
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby SUKI » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:40 pm

Since those retaining rings are onlt 75 cents from Rotary I keep them on hand here too but I do tend to reuse the old ones whenever I can.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby bgsengine » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:32 pm

KE4AVB wrote:One question for both of you. Does the removal destroys the ring? Never used it myself nor even bother to order one.

Not necessarily destroy the ring, but it can deform it if you crank it down too much and then hard to get it back to the perfect round needed to slip the retainer washer back up over it. I used to re-use them, then I looked up and realized it was cheaper to stock the ring and just replace it (time wise) than mess around with forming it back into round shape to re-install.

Edit to add: the tool turned out to be quite a time saver (and finger saver) over trying to pry the ring out with screwdrivers, so if you don't have one and service these starters often enough, I'd say you can justify the purchase. However, as you mentioned in other threads, Briggs seems to be headed downhill, and these days, probably cheaper to just buy a new machine than fix the broken down engines.... (and labor-wise, cheaper to swap out a whole new aftermarket starter than try to fix the bendix drive on old ones.)
Last edited by bgsengine on Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby bgsengine » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:37 pm

Arkie wrote:This tool has the same jaw opening on each side. About 9/16 wide, 1/2 opening and is not like the one in the picture as you point out.
This is apparently not a Briggs 19522 tool because it can only be used on the type c-ring starters that the washer under the clip can be moved down the starter shaft for tool jaw clearance.

There was also a C-ring installer 19435 in the pile so I thought that this was the 19522 tool.

I now see that is IS NOT a Briggs 19522 tool. Just looks like such at a casual glance. :( :o :bricks:

Thanks for the info.

Yup, probably not a briggs tool. There ARE many other places where such a c-ring would be used (including in Automotive and heavy equipment starters, so likely a special tool that could be gotten at an auto parts store - which would stock pretty much the same C-Ring for other starters but those starters would have used different bendix drives)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Arkie » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:54 pm

bgsengine wrote:

Not necessarily destroy the ring, but it can deform it if you crank it down too much and then hard to get it back to the perfect round needed to slip the retainer washer back up over it. I used to re-use them, then I looked up and realized it was cheaper to stock the ring and just replace it (time wise) than mess around with forming it back into round shape to re-install.

Edit to add: the tool turned out to be quite a time saver (and finger saver) over trying to pry the ring out with screwdrivers, so if you don't have one and service these starters often enough, I'd say you can justify the purchase. However, as you mentioned in other threads, Briggs seems to be headed downhill, and these days, probably cheaper to just buy a new machine than fix the broken down engines.... (and labor-wise, cheaper to swap out a whole new aftermarket starter than try to fix the bendix drive on old ones.)

the tool turned out to be quite a time saver (and finger saver) over trying to pry the ring out with screwdrivers,

Right about finger saver: I have a padded jaw vise and a good light for seeing the edge of the ring good and then I also have to be very carful not to stab a finger with one of the small screwdrivers that has chisel sharp tip just for the ring. The first time or two is a learning experience and now days at $70 plus for the tool for home owner or shade tree piddler use is not worth the price. (But I've seen people go crazy on fleece bay bidding on them) :o :(
A homeowner can buy couple of the replacement starters for the price of the tool to keep his BRIGGS humping if the cam don't break right after the new starter is installed.. ;) :oops:
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:55 am

I stumbled across this link that shows some c-ring tools and specialty pliers

https://www.toolsource.com/sets-c-194_2 ... 13137.html
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:29 pm

Neat set. No way would I buy a new removal tool from Briggs with that price tag. On the install drivers, I replaced one that must have been abused. I found the green fuel line clamp around the end made the old one work good again. Will wonders never cease...
hanz63
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to The Tool Crib