• Advertisement

tool warranty

For the Tool Junkies among us - Discussions related to any and all tools, equipment, machinery - purchased or home-made, that are used in Outdoor Power Equipment Repairs.

tool warranty

Postby pie eater » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:34 pm

hi folks. i hate to tell you this , but i have an aircat nitrocat 1200k for my day job as a heavy duty service tech for a john deere dealership, and my nitrocat has quit after 10 months of use.
i use the gun weekly, not daily, and always oil it ect, but the front plate near the hammer pins has cracked.
the gun comes with 2 years warranty, but to send the gun away for 2 weeks, or 40 bucks for the part a day later, and 30 mins to install it, make me really question the warranty that comes with tools, and weather its worth filling out the warranty card.
when the gun works. boy does it work, and it would out perform my colleges snap on guns without breaking sweat, and will easily put out 600flb. tightening torque. a little heavy, for the small engines ect, but really good on the big toys i play with during the day.
IF IT AINT BROKE, DON'T FIX IT !
pie eater

Advertisement

Re: tool warranty

Postby bgsengine » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:11 am

pie eater wrote:hi folks. i hate to tell you this , but i have an aircat nitrocat 1200k for my day job as a heavy duty service tech for a john deere dealership, and my nitrocat has quit after 10 months of use.
i use the gun weekly, not daily, and always oil it ect, but the front plate near the hammer pins has cracked.
the gun comes with 2 years warranty, but to send the gun away for 2 weeks, or 40 bucks for the part a day later, and 30 mins to install it, make me really question the warranty that comes with tools, and weather its worth filling out the warranty card.
when the gun works. boy does it work, and it would out perform my colleges snap on guns without breaking sweat, and will easily put out 600flb. tightening torque. a little heavy, for the small engines ect, but really good on the big toys i play with during the day.

consider cost of replacement vs. cost of repairing it.. if it would cost more to replace or to have a major component such as the hammer case, etc. fixed out of warranty, fill out the warranty card...assuming you have a local shop that can do warranty - that's the beauty of the snap-on, Mac, Matco, SK, Craftsman lines - if you had a local tool repair shop that is authorized to do warranty on your tools, then you'd not have this dilemma - just another reason it pays to BUY LOCAL - Otherwise you end up having to send the tool away for 1-6 weeks (downtime) when looking at new tools for the shop that is one of the things I seriously consider - Could have gotten a $499 MIG Welder at HF... but, instead, bought one off the Snap-On Truck BECAUSE we'd have follow up service after the sale.. which we would not get for any price buying from some company on the other coast.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby pie eater » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:21 pm

i here what your saying, i did buy local, but the repair center is in the next province has a 2 week backlog. i could have got the gun to them next day, but it would of sat for 2 weeks because of there backlog. when i spoke to my mac dealer he told me that aircat make the guns for mac tools, but i only see the mac and snap on dealers every 2 weeks as we are out in the country and not in a city, but the new part arrived today, and cost $35 shipped, so the guns as good as new again, so alls well.
pie eater

Postby StarTech » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:36 am

pie eater wrote:i here what your saying, i did buy local, but the repair center is in the next province has a 2 week backlog. i could have got the gun to them next day, but it would of sat for 2 weeks because of there backlog. when i spoke to my mac dealer he told me that aircat make the guns for mac tools, but i only see the mac and snap on dealers every 2 weeks as we are out in the country and not in a city, but the new part arrived today, and cost $35 shipped, so the guns as good as new again, so alls well.

This is one the reasons why I try to have spare tools on hand. When one breaks I can pull another one out and have the broken one repaired and replaced without losing time on the job. It hard to have two of everything but I save and manage to get a spare when I can just depends how much I depend on a particular tool.

The problem now is I got to buy another tool chest and top box or a larger chest. ;)
StarTech

Postby pie eater » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:29 pm

Starfire1 wrote:
pie eater wrote:i here what your saying, i did buy local, but the repair center is in the next province has a 2 week backlog. i could have got the gun to them next day, but it would of sat for 2 weeks because of there backlog. when i spoke to my mac dealer he told me that aircat make the guns for mac tools, but i only see the mac and snap on dealers every 2 weeks as we are out in the country and not in a city, but the new part arrived today, and cost $35 shipped, so the guns as good as new again, so alls well.

This is one the reasons why I try to have spare tools on hand. When one breaks I can pull another one out and have the broken one repaired and replaced without losing time on the job. It hard to have two of everything but I save and manage to get a spare when I can just depends how much I depend on a particular tool.

The problem now is I got to buy another tool chest and top box or a larger chest. ;)

dont, go there. dont go there. this season, my employer has had to buy me a lager service truck for that very reason. double and triples in wrenches and sockets, screwdrivers ect, arnt too bad to fund, but when you start getting into the 3/4" drive stuff and tools capable of breaking and loosening 600+ lbf it gets real expensive real quick :bricks:
pie eater

Postby StarTech » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:19 am

Don't want to go there either.

I have seen the 3/4 and 1" prices and surely hope I don't need to get into those sizes. I do need a couple stronger 1/2 impacts and then I sell the ones I got now at a yard sale or as scrap metal. I getting to old to keep using pull bars break loose those blade bolts on the larger ZTRs.
StarTech

Postby Greyfox » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:37 pm

Starfire1 wrote:

You say this like a bad thing :D

Oh and if you need a 1'' driver you should check out harborfreights 1'' air impact. Its about $150 and puts out 2,000 lbs of torque. Their sockets are about $80 for a set.
Common sense is instinct, enough of it is genius when repairing things.
Briggs and Stratton MST Current
Kohler Expert Tech,
Prochem Tech,
and the guy who's family calls when ANYTHING is broken :bricks:
Greyfox

Postby jimmyfingers » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:23 am

I have been questioning 'lifetime warranties or warranties in general. For example, I have a 2 gallon roundup sprayer with lifetime warranty, Instead of just calling them, they want pics, try to troubleshoot over email, send replacement parts that may or may not work. This is only after you have the receipt and proof of purchase which are likely long gone.
jimmyfingers
Forum Regular

Postby Greyfox » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:51 pm

jimmyfingers wrote:I have been questioning 'lifetime warranties or warranties in general. For example, I have a 2 gallon roundup sprayer with lifetime warranty, Instead of just calling them, they want pics, try to troubleshoot over email, send replacement parts that may or may not work. This is only after you have the receipt and proof of purchase which are likely long gone.

I like using kobalt for certain power tools because their main selling point is their hassle free warranty. If it brakes under warranty you bring it into the store with your mylowes card and you walk out with a brand new one in packaging. I damn good thing too with how many breaker bars i go through :D
Common sense is instinct, enough of it is genius when repairing things.
Briggs and Stratton MST Current
Kohler Expert Tech,
Prochem Tech,
and the guy who's family calls when ANYTHING is broken :bricks:
Greyfox

Return to The Tool Crib