• Advertisement

Homebrew Honda Valve Adjustment Wrench B

For the Tool Junkies among us - Discussions related to any and all tools, equipment, machinery - purchased or home-made, that are used in Outdoor Power Equipment Repairs.

Homebrew Honda Valve Adjustment Wrench B

Postby NO0C » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:46 pm

Every spring I set the valve clearances on my Lawnboy/Honda GCV-160 and always find it difficult to hold the adjusting screw. Being the tightwad that I am, and not wanting to drop $35 for a genuine Honda tool I use once a year, I saw someone talk on a motorcycle forum about something they came up with. So here is my Rube Goldberg/Sammy Chung 07708-0030400 valve adjustment wrench B.

I don't have a lot invested, but it works great. A simple drywall screw and a hunk of an old broom handle.

Thanks for the bandwidth. Image

NO0C
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Homebrew Honda Valve Adjustment Wrench B

Postby 38racing » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:50 pm

NO0C wrote:Every spring I set the valve clearances on my Lawnboy/Honda GCV-160 and always find it difficult to hold the adjusting screw. Being the tightwad that I am, and not wanting to drop $35 for a genuine Honda tool I use once a year, I saw someone talk on a motorcycle forum about something they came up with. So here is my Rube Goldberg/Sammy Chung 07708-0030400 valve adjustment wrench B.

I don't have a lot invested, but it works great. A simple drywall screw and a hunk of an old broom handle.

Thanks for the bandwidth. Image

so I'm guessing that the Robertson screw size just fits. looks like a #2 (red handle). ironically the Robertson screw was invented by P L Robertson in my home town of Milton Ontario Canada. lots of relatives worked there but unfortunately not my dad. story goes that Henry Ford switched from Robertson screws to philips in the model a because pl would not license him to make his own screws. and our drywall screws are usually philips head now.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:50 am

Personally I don't like the Phillips (cross points) as the driver always seems to give problems of climbing out due design. I prefer either the Torx or Robertson (square drive) when given a choice. So many of the Phillip screws I need to remove are already stripped out head wise.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:28 am

KE4AVB wrote:Personally I don't like the Phillips (cross points) as the driver always seems to give problems of climbing out due design. I prefer either the Torx or Robertson (square drive) when given a choice. So many of the Phillip screws I need to remove are already stripped out head wise.

i was doing a deck rail and the philips was slipping putting in the screws but then I realized heads were dual and I switched to #2 Robertson and no problem.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby wristpin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:52 am

Don't think think that much Robertson stuff has made its way across the pond to the UK but as well as Torx and Phillips we have Pozidrive and for a while SuperDrive but I haven't seen much mention of the latter lately. New to me a year or so ago was the Japanese Industrial System (JIS) - their version of Phillips / Pozidrive the general ignorance of which accounts for so many chewed up heads on Japanese engines and bikes etc .

I'm amazed at the price that you quote for the Honda tool - we were given them when attending a Honda service school some years ago!
wristpin
Forum Pro

Return to The Tool Crib