• Advertisement

Briggs RPM question

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Briggs RPM question

Postby bobodu » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:46 pm

Put a larger pulley on it and be done....
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Craftsman GT » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:03 pm

Thank you Skywatcher.

bobodu wrote:Put a larger pulley on it and be done....

The tractor current has the stock size pulleys on the engine which is currently set in 1st gear so it goes slow enough for the sickle, if I flip it around so the tractor is in 2nd gear, it goes to fast for the sickle bar even at 1/2 throttle. I played around with it today and in 1st gear about 1/2 throttle it goes slow enough for the sickle bar to keep up and not shake itself apart
Craftsman GT

Postby Craftsman GT » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:13 pm

And I found this even though it is all cast iron block engines, most of the RPM ranges are 1800 to 3600

www.asecc.com/data/briggs_stratton/brig ... power.html
Craftsman GT

Postby 38racing » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:01 pm

Not exactly on topic but related. A push mower that I sold to a friend was acting up. One issue was it reving up and then back while cutting . Not your normal noload type surge. It is a 9 series vertical and I first changed the diaphragm. Same issue. I looked at the governor setup and it has two springs , large and small. Both hooked to governor lever at same position but large other end to a moveable (but not really because no throttle cable) and the small to a fixed piece. I noticed that this little one's fixed piece was not vertical so I bent it so and unit runs fine. I did some research and the little spring is supposed to prevent stalling in idle , low load situations. I found procedure for setting top no load rpm using both springs. But in this application, a push mower, there is no idle, low load situation. (which is the relationship to the topic I think). I guess that motor might be used another equipment type that uses idle speeds.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:23 pm

38racing wrote: I did some research and the little spring is supposed to prevent stalling in idle , low load situations. .
Yup - that's called a governed idle.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby madmantrapper » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:10 pm

RJRacing wrote:yes, it will hurt the engine, needs to run full throttle for proper cooling

I have a go cart with a 5 hp briggs that has been drivern around at less then half throuttle for about five years now by the grandkids. Doesn't seem to have hurt it any. Maybe because it is in motion and the air passing by makes up for the slower flywheel.
madmantrapper
Guide

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum