• Advertisement

Gas in carb

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Gas in carb

Postby Island Guy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:01 pm

I have a Briggs And Stratton generator that I run for about 15 min. each month. I use ethanol free unleaded gas. My question is, should the carb be run dry of gas at shutdown or be left full of fuel. Thank you for any reply.
Island Guy

Advertisement

Re: Gas in carb

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:36 pm

Personally since you run the engine 15 min each month I would just leave the fuel in the carburetor. It is the long term storage that gets you in to trouble; although, some carburetors do seep some when not in use which is why there is shut off valves. Just my opinion here.

I use 10% ethanol fuel in all of my equipment and just don't see what all the complaints are about. Of course I keep fuel in tightly sealed container so the moisture in the air don't react with the ethanol in the fuel. Now in my long term stored equipment (over the off season) I do put a stabilizer in since fuel can and do go bad in as little as 30 days.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby HondaG100 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:50 pm

Island Guy wrote:I have a Briggs And Stratton generator that I run for about 15 min. each month..

Very nice to see someone doing some preventative care! :D
HondaG100
Guide

Postby NO0C » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:20 pm

HondaG100 wrote:Very nice to see someone doing some preventative care! :D

I agree. Island Guy is the exception and certainly not the rule. That's why those of you engaged in small engine repair have something to do. :D

I would not bother draining the carburetor either with that exercise cycle interval. I would try to run it under load if possible even if you have to devise your own load bank (lamps, toasters, waffle irons etc.).

I live in the middle of ethanol country and refuse to buy corn whiskey/almost gasoline ..... for anything. I drive a 24 year old car everywhere I go and if I use the mix it costs me more $/mile to use it versus real gasoline and performance is compromised. A newer auto no doubt has better fuel mapping for ethanol mix use.

Just my 2¢.
NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:20 am

Leave em full and run em...beats replacing dried out diaphragms. Always use a stabilizer.
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Arkie » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:01 pm

bobodu wrote:Leave em full and run em...beats replacing dried out diaphragms. Always use a stabilizer.

Right: Don't forget to also cycle your old non-ethanol gas before it ruins. Pour it in your old ford.

I've been converting some gens small engines (less than 12HP) to propane (tri-fuel kits) propane, nat gas or gasoline using the USCarb closeout C kits, three fuel kits on flea bay. Kit price is about $88 on sale, $128 not on sale. If not on sale just wait few days and look again. They will mark them down for about 3 days then back up. They went to what is called a snorkel kit is why they are closeing out the C kits.
Very easy install, fit between carb and breather and engines seem to perform smoother on propane as compared to Gasoline. One of the main reasons for converting to propane use is the carb can be left completely dry of gasoline and test the unit on propane and the carb stays dry of gas. Of course I recommend testing on gasoline about every 3 or 4 months just to make sure it will still operate ok if gas is needed instead of propane or natural gas.
They also have a hose kit for plumbing into vapor side of propane tanks which is a regulator (oz regulator) and about 15 ft of hose if you want to get a full turn key install ready to go to a tank. Fuel consumption on propane is not much different than gasoline consumption and HP rating drop by about 10-15% I think. Anyway the c kit works great on small engines.
I do not like the looks of the snorkel kit, too much plastic and don't look bullet proof.
You can do some reviewing a USCarb.com website or drop them a email for questions/ I'm not in any way associated with them, just a user of their C kits,, just seems to be good products and good tech people. :popcorn:
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:04 pm

Website showing c kit @ $187 still.
But now checking eBay I find Briggs and Honda clone 11hp for 88. Need to find 6.5 HP at that price
Found it.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:46 pm

38racing wrote:Website showing c kit @ $187 still.
But now checking eBay I find Briggs and Honda clone 11hp for 88. Need to find 6.5 HP at that price
Found it.

I noticed this about their sale and etc:
Website won't show the closeout price of $88. The $187 was their original price and is still is price if you order from their website. It also says you cannot return anything at the closeout price but if you use paypal you are protected if they send you the wrong stuff.
For Some engines you might have to send them a email and also include the Model number of the gen set (just like here, give them (USCarb) more info than they might really need about model and serial of both engine and gen) and usually takes couple days for a response then afterwards they answer promptly usually. They also say they will notify you of a future markdown flea bay closeout sale, but I had to watch and find the sale on my own. If you see it not on sale place it in your watch list keep a daily eye open for the all at once mark down because the sale only last few hours or couple days then back up in price again about 2 weeks later. :popcorn:
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:13 pm

wow. 3 years has passed and I haven't converted to NG yet. Those closeout kits still too pricey with $65 cdn just to ship it. I'm wondering about the kit that includes the carb. I can get it for about $42 cdn with shipping.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dual-Fuel-LPG-C ... 2809765896
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:01 pm

38racing wrote:wow. 3 years has passed and I haven't converted to NG yet. Those closeout kits still too pricey with $65 cdn just to ship it. I'm wondering about the kit that includes the carb. I can get it for about $42 cdn with shipping.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dual-Fuel-LPG-C ... 2809765896

Just a thought.
You might have to do some mods to the generator frame rails to get it mounted.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum