• Advertisement

Stihl 034 Second Opinion

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Stihl 034 Second Opinion

Postby davbell25413 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:22 pm

Need 2nd on my Stihl 034 on if its crank bearings or something else. Been having issues with pulling the rope on a cold start. Its hard to pull unless I stick my foot in the opening where the trigger is to brace it. When its being pulled is makes a cracking sound. Then after 5-6 times it pulls normal. I took recoil starter off and it pulls out fine when off of saw. I can turn the flywheel by hand but its tight at first like something is sticking. I described this same issue to friend thats been in the business longer than I have and he saying its crank bearings need replaced.
Last edited by davbell25413 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davbell25413
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Stihl 034 Second Opinion

Postby 100 td » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:24 pm

Can't help with yours but here is a similar experience
I've got a 20" Stihl 038 Magnum, if I don't stick my foot in it, it's in the air, also if i don't grab the starter cord firmly in my hand it kicks back (feels like it, or is tight like yours) and pulls thru my hand and hurts a lot, this is when it's cold. When it's hot, no problems, I hold it one handed in the air and start it with the other. It's been this way since new in 1997, hasn't had a lot of work since 2003 but I still use it for half a dozen trees each year. Has never failed or seemed to be anything wrong with it otherwise. Have replaced the worn out bar, (after grinding and filing it a few times) new aircleaner (foam cover disintegration), starter cord and lots of chains. All good!
Only one thing I can think of, I think this engine was designed to run at 50:1, I run it at 25:1 like everything else I own, maybe extra oil in engine makes it hard to start?
100 td

Postby davbell25413 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:50 pm

100 td wrote:Can't help with yours but here is a similar experience
I've got a 20" Stihl 038 Magnum, if I don't stick my foot in it, it's in the air, also if i don't grab the starter cord firmly in my hand it kicks back (feels like it, or is tight like yours) and pulls thru my hand and hurts a lot, this is when it's cold. When it's hot, no problems, I hold it one handed in the air and start it with the other. It's been this way since new in 1997, hasn't had a lot of work since 2003 but I still use it for half a dozen trees each year. Has never failed or seemed to be anything wrong with it otherwise. Have replaced the worn out bar, (after grinding and filing it a few times) new aircleaner (foam cover disintegration), starter cord and lots of chains. All good!
Only one thing I can think of, I think this engine was designed to run at 50:1, I run it at 25:1 like everything else I own, maybe extra oil in engine makes it hard to start?

I run the 50:1 Tru Fuel in all my 2 cycle cube type carb engines.
davbell25413
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:38 pm

If it is only after it is cold it could be that the piston rings are sticking due to carbon build-up but the only real to find the problem is a tear down. I know it a hassle but it is a necessary sometimes; it is just time consuming thing that we like to avoid whenever possible.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby davbell25413 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:54 pm

KE4AVB wrote:If it is only after it is cold it could be that the piston rings are sticking due to carbon build-up but the only real to find the problem is a tear down. I know it a hassle but it is a necessary sometimes; it is just time consuming thing that we like to avoid whenever possible.

I just put new piston and rings on it back in the spring. Probably have about 3-4 hours on the new piston and rings. Its aftermarket vec piston and rings from northwoodsaw dot com.
davbell25413
Guide

Postby 100 td » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:44 pm

Ring catching on ports possibly? Were rings located in piston correctly, and was piston inserted correct orientation for ports? (ie., not 180 degrees out if there is a difference with ring pin location)
100 td

Postby bgsengine » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:27 pm

100 td wrote:Ring catching on ports possibly? Were rings located in piston correctly, and was piston inserted correct orientation for ports? (ie., not 180 degrees out if there is a difference with ring pin location)

Good thought, but odds are, if rings were gonna catch on ports, the saw would very quickly be scrap metal.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby davbell25413 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:40 am

This started after about 4-5 times using it since replacing the piston and rings. It did once before replacing the piston. PO had the saw sitting in a chainsaw case for about year because it needed a new piston.
davbell25413
Guide

Postby davbell25413 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:37 pm

Looked at this issue. Flywheel will turn freely by hand. I finally got it to hang up in the recoil while recoil was off when pulling string out and letting it back in. Now it I hear something rubbing on the starter pulley. It sounds like someone ran there finger nails down chalk board.
davbell25413
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:32 pm

Sounds like your recoil pulley split - They do that pretty frequently, then when tension on the rope squeezes the sides the pulley hangs up on the spring casing. It's easy to miss as it usually only happens when the recoil is under load (I.E. trying to crank the engine) In severe cases, you can have rope jammed in the pulley so that it seems like the rope don't pull out far enough either.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum