• Advertisement

atlas roto-tiller malfunction

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

atlas roto-tiller malfunction

Postby plotthound » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:42 am

today I get up super early to till the garden before it gets to hot.fire up my old atlas tiller till for 5 feet and it stalls.put it in neutral and fire it up again,engage the tines and it stalls.get it tiped up so I can see the belts and I notice 2 have somehow crossed and jammed up.also notice that the tines spin freely,this is not good me thinks.to me it looks like the shaft driving the gear that turs the tines has broke,moved and allowed the pulleys to misalign.is this a repairable malfunction or is the old tiller now scrap?ive never had one of these apart so I'm at a loss here.(as usual)

cheers
plotthound
Guide

Advertisement

Re: atlas roto-tiller malfunction

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:57 am

You would happen to know the model number? I haven't seen of these before here but may be able to find an IPL to look at.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:47 pm

I would be interested to know who built it, pictures and a model number would be good.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:49 pm

atlas manufacturing model 12-50 20.can put some pictures up later guys.found a parts diagram. http://www.mowerpartsweb.com/manuals/AT ... 2-5020.PDF
thanks
plotthound
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:17 pm

Looks like could have sheared a roll pin on the worn drive shaft. Gain access the pulley area, using a soap stone mark across the shafts and pulleys then hand rotate through to see any are slipping. If pulleys are slipping then you need access the worm gear area to check there for to see if anything of the roll pins there are sheared.

If the worm is worn out and slipping it is probably pretty well dead as this looks very much like the Monkey Wards that I tried to repair but could no longer get the parts.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:52 pm

thanks KE4AVB,when I try to turn the pully assembly on the worm drive shaft there is no resistance.i can turn it and the tines don't move.if I tip the machine back and spin the the tines they just free-wheel.so I do believe that I'm SOL and will not waste any time or money on it.to bad although its old the engine runs like a champ.plus I just put an electronic ignition in it a couple years back. :bricks:
plotthound
Guide

Postby RoyM » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:03 pm

The brass bull gear has likely piled up. The engine being a horizontal shaft should be able to find a new home.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:20 pm

maybe if I'm lucky I can find one with a blown engine.the one small engine place near me is ran by a hoarder.lol :mrgreen:
plotthound
Guide

Postby 38racing » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:14 pm

plotthound wrote:maybe if I'm lucky I can find one with a blown engine.the one small engine place near me is ran by a hoarder.lol :mrgreen:

You mean 'collector' lol
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:52 am

dragged the old tiller back into the shop and pulled the plug out of the differential.on the end of the shaft there is a retaining ring with a roll pin then a bearing behind it.damn roll pin was in 4 pieces and that allowed the shaft to move back so the worm gear was not engaged.just need to find a roll pin to fit it now.figured since I was to this stage I might as well throw 3 new belts on it as well.figures you cant change the belts without removing the drive pulley which of course is stuck on the shaft.ive got the woodruff key loose but not removed and the whole works soaking in pb blaster.whats the easiest way to get this pulley off? can I pry it off or do I need to get a puller on it?
plotthound
Guide

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum