• Advertisement

No fire poulan chainsaw

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

No fire poulan chainsaw

Postby 38racing » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:50 pm

A poulan chain model p3314 was left at our charity recycle dumpster. Most times small engine stuff left there just needs carb work. My first test is to spray carb cleaner into the intake and see if it fires. In this case it does not. I have checked for spark and there is spark if I ground plug. I have used new plug. (on/off switch won't move so I removed kill wire from it).The carb is different from any I have seen and I wonder if that affects my carb cleaner test. I spray through choke opening. This carb seems to have a second air intake from air cleaner housing with a damper controlled by the throttle. here is pic of carb
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/ ... 40509&mr=1
There is pulse at the sparkplug hole when cranking with plug out.
I am thinking to:
use spark tester and check intensity
remove muffler in case blocked
check for flywheel shifted.
compression test
What else unless it is carb and my spray just not getting in?
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: No fire poulan chainsaw

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:01 am

That is a carburetor for stratified engine sometimes called an air head carburetor.

Since you have fire and have tried introducing fuel, do a compression test. You probably will find it at or below 100 psi when it should be 120+. These engine will not run if cranking psi is 100 or less. If so then it most likely has a PNC that is shot. Can be verified by pulling the muffler and checking the cylinder condition. On these Poulan 42cc engines (I know it probably says 33cc- 38cc) they are bad to run lean and destroy the cylinder.

The 530071884 cylinder will only take the 530071883 NCC piston and the 530071885 NCC cylinder will only take the 530071882 Non NCC piston. Can not put both NCCs together as the fit way too tight and the putting both the non NCC piston and non NCC cylinder together will result in a loose fit.

NCC = Nickel Ceramic Coating
PNC = Piston and Cylinder
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:45 am

Btw you might want to download the SM that covers this Poulan saw from the Husqvarna directory in the download forum. It doesn't list list this model but all the 42cc Poulans are basically the same saw with only cosmetic differences like a different carburetor or just a different style case color.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:26 pm

You can read some reviews on that saw here: :popcorn:

https://www.amazon.com/Poulan-P3314-14- ... op?ie=UTF8
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:51 pm

I don't know why everyone seem so down on them. They are good saws when properly tuned. I have worked quite a few of them, mostly for fuel line problems along BNC replacements. I only seen 3 that were burned up and was from straight gassing them.

As I said the P3314 is running the same PNC that the PP4218A does. I see from the price I can buy the refurb P3314, strip it, and sell the parts at profit as it would cost more to purchase the individual parts from my distributor. Tnx Arkie I think I'll buy a couple P3314 for the parts.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:54 pm

compression is 75 psi so i guess it's a parts unit.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:06 pm

Yelp its a parts machine at the level. Just you probably won't anything except the BNC and carburetor. BNC is usually shot too. so not much worth saving unless you a few of these around.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby rogerf » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:43 am

KE4AVB wrote:Yelp its a parts machine at the level. Just you probably won't anything except the BNC and carburetor. BNC is usually shot too. so not much worth saving unless you a few of these around.

Hallo folks,

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is BNC? I remember a constant impedance RF (Radio Frequency) connector with a quarter turn locking ring from another life when I was in communications, but I'm sure that's not what is meant here. :lol:

Maybe we need a list of acronyms in the reference material? It can also be that different terminology is used depending on location or country.

Cheers,
Roger
rogerf
Guide

Postby dougand3 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:39 am

I think AVB means bar and chain. And he's right, these units aren't worth buying a PNC. Around here, 42cc Poulans sell for $60-$65 running great after refurb. They are worth keeping to rob parts off of.
dougand3
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:57 am

[quote="rogerf
Please forgive my ignorance, but what is BNC? I remember a constant impedance RF (Radio Frequency) connector with a quarter turn locking ring from another life when I was in communications, but I'm sure that's not what is meant here. :lol:

Maybe we need a list of acronyms in the reference material? It can also be that different terminology is used depending on location or country.

Cheers,
Roger[/quote]
Sorry for taking a short cut on typing but have been having monitor problems with it going to sleep can't get it reset for a while. I think found the problem as appear it is a foul-up computer setting.

Yes as Dougand3 note BNC = bar and chain in chainsaws terms. Also PNC = Piston and Cylinder.

And yes we still use BNC in electronics for that connector. Matter of fact I use two a few days ago on my Oscilloscope checking some analog circuits to find out why they weren't tripping the digital triggers

BNC electronics connector
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum