• Advertisement

Removing Push Rod from Crankcase

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Removing Push Rod from Crankcase

Postby Walt 2002 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:40 pm

Best thing is for doubters to stay clear. If I were still doing work there is no doubt in my mind what I would do based on my past experience and what I have just saw demonstrated with the scope for myself.

Walt Conner
Walt 2002
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:13 am

Walt,

It is no doubt that if there is no unseen damage then the scope and pickup will work. This especially true if it something that just been dropped in engine like a screw/bolt. My luck with push rods has been that most have come loose at full throttle. Now I have dropped a couple push rods during installation and the scope and pickup (be it magnetic or a claw type) would have save me some time especially being able to see where things are located.

Every situation is different just as every tech has different ways of doing things. One person experiences doesn't always reflects what others have over the years. Personally as I said I am uncomfortable taking shortcuts as they do have a tendency to bite me back. As for pulling engines it not that had hard when you got the correct tools even my back problems. I know it looks like over kill to use a hoist but when you work by yourself it comes in handy. I rather spend $25 on a gasket to know things are okay than not. Yes I don't like spending the money either but for me it is cheap insurance. I have learn to trust my instincts over the years and if something bothering me I rather check it than it slip by.

I do have one customer with a Cub ZTR that the engine is none removable due a rusted on PTO clutch but I letting that problem ride until the day it fails as I probably will need to cut it off as someone fail to put on antiseize compound because they were too cheap to pay for it.

Yes I learned to keep track of every piece and for broken items find all the pieces. I had several engines where other techs that would lose a screw and have a just forget it attitude then engine goes to pieces. I had one tech that drop a screw on a Kohler twin horizontal and few days later it was in a lockup condition. Once he told me about dropping a screw I went hunting it. I found what was left but it had already destroyed the flywheel, the stator, and that lead to a hole in the crankcase.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:47 pm

Walt 2002 wrote:I'd be cautious about buying too cheap of one. One poster did that and was not useful, bought a more expensive one and was happy. You know, get what you pay for.

Walt Conner

I bought a cheap one on ebay to try. Shipped from china on Oct 8th , got it mid dec. Works on my laptop but not my phone although found another phone that it works on. Our CTC has this on for $100 cdn next week, regular $300.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maxim ... 4548p.html
38racing
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum