• Advertisement

Old Ariens Snow blower/thrower

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Old Ariens Snow blower/thrower

Postby JPL » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:21 pm

I have an old Ariens snow thrower 1977 Mod. 924032 Ser# Engine 7hp tec H70-130210D My issue is when it starts RPMs are low (about 2600 rpms) as it warms up RPMS will increase and stay steady at 3500 RPMS, with no load engine runs smooth. When I put the drive gear with auger running rpms drop to about 2800 rpms. last season with snow it would bog down and not throw snow. So what I have done is replaced the governor with new, changed the points and condenser checked valves, all seams good. when the engine is running (no load) I can push on the governor and get a fair amount of resistance. I am at a lost on what to look at next.
I feel when we get snow that I will have the same issue as last year. Is there a way to test engine load that the governor is working correctly.
Any help is welcome. :roll:
JPL

Advertisement

Re: Old Ariens Snow blower/thrower

Postby RoyM » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:55 pm

With the throttle at wide open loosen the screw that locks the arm to the governor shaft. Note which way the spring pulls the arm and tutrn turn the shaft in the same direction as far as it will go. Tighten the screw.

[Static governor adjustment]
[Post edited and Duplicate topic in General Discussions removed - AVB]
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:47 am

Sounds like the old girl is due for a rebuild to me but I haven't worked on enough Tecumseh engines to be of any help here. Could be something simple too.

Snowblowers is something that I have never seen in my area so I have no experience with them. If I ever see one I would need help from others here too.

As loading the unit I seem to remember someone here saying try running it on a smooth concrete shop floor so the rubber paddles contact the smooth floor surface so it can load the engine; of course, you want to block the wheels so it don't take off across the shop.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:04 am

Have you messed with the carb at all??
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby RoyM » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:20 pm

AVB, he has a two stage unit with metal augers so that definitely won't work. You are referring to the smaller single stage which doesn't have power to the wheels.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:43 pm

RoyM wrote:AVB, he has a two stage unit with metal augers so that definitely won't work. You are referring to the smaller single stage which doesn't have power to the wheels.

Yeah . however being powered wheels, one way to load the engine might be to butt the front of the blower up against something solid (tree, etc) and engage only the wheel drive and let them spin/ dig in which would create a load on the engine... that is assuming you have wheel drive control separate from auger control.

However from the sound of it, to me, I would tend to think the engine is pretty well tired out - I'd be doing a compression and leak-down test, look for leaking head gaskets, worn rings, sloppy valves (clearances?) and the like, assuming the engine otherwise runs smoothly (if it was a carb problem I'd expect it to be chugging/rich/black smoke, or hunting/surging from lean mix)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:50 pm

Tnx , Roy. As I said I don't know anything much snowblowers just no demand for them here so I am just listening and learning too just in case one by some miracle shows up. :lol: but I not going to bet the farm on it though.

I was even sent an aftermarket snowblower parts catalog; what a waste of paper on my part.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:08 pm

If you get a need for them there would be a serious climate change problem. :lol:
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby JPL » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:10 pm

Thanks for all the suggestion, I can hold the machine and get the wheels to spin that's when I noticed that when the RPMs diminish.
Yes I set the governor with the throttle all the way open.
I have not checked the compression or done a leak down test I will do that next.
Any more ideas are welcome
Thanks all.
JPL

Postby OverKnight » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:10 am

I would second the compression and leakdown test suggestion, and I'd bet it's due for a rebuild. I think snow blower engines work harder than any other small engine, with the throttle more frequently wide open; this put a lot of pressure on the rings and cylinder. I have an early 1990's Ariens with a Tecumseh HSK70 engine. It wasn't cared for particularly well before it was given to me, and when blowing large, heavy snow, it would blow oil out of breather. Snow blower engine really should have cast iron cylinder liners, which the HSK70 doesn't have; I think the H70 also uses an aluminum cylinder. No need for a compression or leakdown test when you see that.
"I shall pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet
OverKnight
Forum Regular

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum