• Advertisement

snowblower gearbox grease life

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

snowblower gearbox grease life

Postby 38racing » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:05 am

Maybe a manual would tell me this but not handy to one. Snowblower gearboxes take a 00 grease. Not easy to find for decent price . MTD has 837-0168 and 737-0168. Nobody ever seems to change this grease routinely but in researching available substitutes I found a Petro canada 00 grease and it says the shelf life of its 0 and 00 greases is just 2 years. So how can it last longer in the blowers? Unless mtd stuff has special additives?
ok I just found this so no routine replacement.
Gear Case
The auger gear case has been filled with grease at the
factory. If disassembled for any reason, lubricate with
two ounces of grease (Part Number 737-0168).
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: snowblower gearbox grease life

Postby bgsengine » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:17 am

Shhh! dirty little secret in modern manufacturing.., consumer price point (which is most MTD, Husqvarna, etc) machines are engineered to fail - lasting just long enough to go out of warranty.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:35 am

bgsengine wrote:Shhh! dirty little secret in modern manufacturing.., consumer price point (which is most MTD, Husqvarna, etc) machines are engineered to fail - lasting just long enough to go out of warranty.

What you mean last long enough to get out warranty here lately they don't seem to even make it out of store before they break which is sad statement on their quaility. :(
If you can even call it a warranty as it excludes nearly everything. IF you fully read and understand the warranties then you will know it is "You brought it, now its your problem attitude.". These warranties are written by lawyers as you know can say a lot and mean nothing. MHO.

As for the "00" grease the Tecumseh transaxles use in the old Murrays is still going good as long as the system stays sealed. It does separate some while sitting but get throughly mix once in operation. You be able get from Rotary or Stens. Rotary PN 9089 for around $10 usd per quart. Of course you got find it on your side of the border at a reasonable price.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:32 pm

Yeah, the cheap gear boxes on most of them usually pile up long before the grease breaks down. :lol: As was mentioned, the lubricant should last as long as the system stays sealed. We got our first snow yesterday so the fun is about to begin.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:06 pm

I just use some bearing grease...it isn't like they are subject to high temps...
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby 38racing » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:22 pm

bobodu wrote:I just use some bearing grease...it isn't like they are subject to high temps...

I think it's the cold that's the issue. My friend just rebuilt his and I think that he used bearing grease and I'm wondering if that will be too thick. I'm finding corn head grease is being used by some people. It's #0 which is a bit thicker than the #00 that is supposed to be used. Someone says they use a 50/50 mix of regular. grease and gear oil. But there is also some spec grease that is not good for the bronze parts GL4 versus GL5 if I recall.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:52 am

corn head grease?

I had to lookup that one as first I heard that term. :lol:
Corn Head Grease is a high quality multi-purpose, semi-fluid type grease available in an NLGI #0 grade.

It should work as it is designed for cold temps and it is water washout resistant too.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby HondaG100 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:24 pm

I just picked up a 5 gallon pail of 00 grease at my local NAPA store for $105. Citgo brand. He said he stocks it for a specific customer so if you have a friendly auto parts place that still knows how to sell you things that are not vehicle/year/engine specific they should be able to set you up. Cheaper than tube grease if you use as much as I do.
HondaG100
Guide

Postby 38racing » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:47 pm

i got a tube of jd corn head grease for 5 cdn. friend said this morning that he didn't like sound of his blower. might be the thick grease.
my blower made a noise yesterday but i think i just have one less jumper wire .
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:49 pm

bobodu wrote:I just use some bearing grease...it isn't like they are subject to high temps...

Right:

I've been using 00 and wheel bearing grease in old slow moving gearboxes and MTD junk for years with no problems of not enough lub and if they don't leak too bad I'll add some SAE 90W to the grease.
I've took the MTD gearboxes apart and found on several that the bushing or parts wore out because that high dollar special factory MTD grease was all caked and piled up and not lubing the parts. (they say it's good for the life of the gearbox and they are correct because their grease quits lubing and there goes the lifetime of the gearbox especially the AXLE bushing.
Built so cheap using bushing instead of bearing that they are actually designed to wear out. Cannot see spending lots of money just to put a special grease into something that is poorly designed. MTD don't even allow for grease to get to the outer axle bushings on some of their lawn tractors, the bushing are running dry from the factory and not even any seals to keep dirt from entering from the outer end of the axle tube. Heck even Ronnie Milsap can see this is a piss poor design.

I've added lube filler holes in some of the sealed gear boxes on old riding lawn mowers to add some SEA90w and had real good results extending the life of these type gearboxes.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum