• Advertisement

Tecumseh LH195SP Conks out under Load

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Tecumseh LH195SP Conks out under Load

Postby Dale_W » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:36 am

Tecumseh LH195SP SPEC 67513D mounted on a White Outdoor products snow blower.

I brought this home for a buddy to repair the recoil and electric starters. Those were easy.

When testing, it starts nice, runs nice (no hunting). But when I put it into a pile of snow, the engine conks out.

I would strongly suspect this engine has never been monkeyed with, so the governor is still set from factory. It will speed up the engine if I move it by hand.

Any thoughts? As I write this, I am thinking...need to try a new spark plug....

Any other ideas?

Thank you much.
Dale_W
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Tecumseh LH195SP Conks out under Load

Postby bgsengine » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:06 am

Main Jet or idle transition passages may be gummed up - at full throttle no load they pretty much run off the idle circuit. Try opening the throttle wider (past governed RPM) a bit manually (or "snap throttle") and see if it conks out - if it does try the same but slowly and gradually and if it still conks out, suspect main jet if not suspect idle transition passages in carb.

if it does not die out then maybe a had gasket, valve or compression problem
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:26 am

bgsengine wrote:if it does not die out then maybe a had gasket, valve or compression problem

Hmmm, Bad typing I guess but never heard of a had gasket. Is it the same as "Had fuel."?

But seriously, yes I have seen a few plugs to fail only under heavy loads. And BGS suggests can be a carburetor being dirty.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Dale_W » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:33 am

Follow Up

BGS, thank you for the testing procedure. Stumble it did.

I gave the carburetor a good cleaning, and the engine runs just fine now.

Our wonderful ethanol has done it's dirty work to this carb. I'll need to be ordering up a fuel line and bowl gasket.

Thank you both for sharing your knowledge and helping get this little snow blower running good again.

Dale
Dale_W
Guide

Return to Technical Discussion Forum