• Advertisement

Not so new topic, Ultrasonic cleaner solution

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Not so new topic, Ultrasonic cleaner solution

Postby jwales » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:47 pm

Well I decided to purchase an ultrasonic cleaner for help in the carb cleaning. Went with the HF to start. I have heard of a number of different concoctions; Dawn, Simple green, etc.. What I am wondering is what is the ratio of these to water do you use? ex. 1 oz. of dawn to 6 oz. of water?
I also have read that Simple green has a Green formula and Purple formula. (I have only seen green) Is there a difference or recommendation which to use or not?

I plan on cleaning the chunks off first before immersing in the ultrasonic. How often do you typically change the cleaner? After X amount of carbs? solution looks dirty?

Thanks, And Happy Holidays to you all!
Joe
jwales
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Not so new topic, Ultrasonic cleaner solution

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:10 pm

It depends who you get response from as to what to use. Personally my Kendall is a 6 liter. I use 1 to 2 tablespoonfuls of Dawn Ultra or Ajax liquid dish soap per tank and I usually change out after each carburetor but I don't have a large volume and the Dawn and Ajax are cheap enough to do so. Sometimes I change more often depending how dirty the mix gets. I get fairly good results. As the solution gets dirty the UC will not be as able to clean as well as the dirt will absorb the ultrasonic energy. I have tried 8.5 and 12.5 ph soaps and they didn't cleaned any better. And of the two I prefer the Dawn Ultra.

Now of the folks here I believed use the DTI solution and filter it when it is dirty. I just don't need it as my results are good currently and I like seeing that carb or other parts are no longer releasing foreign materials. As with any method there will times that extra cleaning is needed including some manual cleaning.

One thing of note don't left your solution just set in the UC as it can damage the tank.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:39 pm

I also forgot to mention that the plastic basket will absorb about 20% of the UC cleaning power too.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:10 pm

50/50 mix white vinegar/water. run heated for 15 min air dry, run 15-30 min.
For small engine carbs and chainsaw carbs. Mine only holes about 2 quarts mix.

Sometimes have to use tag wire thru the holes if carb looks real gunky after the cleaner softens the gunk/molasses.

I just go by the color of mixture for when to change solution. I strain it thru coffee filters and place in a clear plastic jug when not using. Can see how much settles out.

I don't do a lot of carbs, but have about 90% success, but I don't do carbs kits for other people, if they don't want to buy a new carb for me to install I let them go somewhere else. I usually first ask them if they use non-ethanol gas and if they are slow saying yes I figure they are lying and need a new carb just for lying.
Acquiring a kit, cleaning and then installing an old carb and if it is a comeback soon with carb issues you have lost time/money to a customer that needed a new carb in first place usually.

If it's my own eq that my old reworked carb fails on within short period of time I can punish myself and chalk it up to more old carb experience.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby wristpin » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:46 pm

I always thoroughly clean the exterior of the carb with degreaser / brake cleaner - no point in dirtying the solution with muck that can be removed conventionally. Then a couple of cap fulls of Ultraclean to a 3 litre tank and run at 50 degrees . Always start the session with new fluid and drain the tank after use. Then thoroughly purge the carb with aerosol carb cleaner or WD40 to displace any remaining fluid.
wristpin
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:35 am

wristpin wrote:I always thoroughly clean the exterior of the carb with degreaser / brake cleaner - no point in dirtying the solution with muck that can be removed conventionally. Then a couple of cap fulls of Ultraclean to a 3 litre tank and run at 50 degrees . Always start the session with new fluid and drain the tank after use. Then thoroughly purge the carb with aerosol carb cleaner or WD40 to displace any remaining fluid.

Wristpin ,

That I thought was a common sense thing to do. It sorta not trying wash your feet while the muck covered socks and shoes were still on. Wait a minute I know of some dope heads that would do it. :lol: Like the one that duct tape a mower blade on that I seen a couple years ago.

But seriously it is a good idea to pre-clean the exterior as for not only keep that the cleaning solution cleaner it also prevent trash from getting into the carburetor passages. Also drying out carburetor is good to as cleaning solution being water based can cause corrosion as well as some of the cleaning soaps. When I first started using an UC I had to re-clean a handful of carburetor because of this because I failed to dry them. :oops: I now do rinse cycle in the UC using non-residue soap or just plain water at about 50-60c temp so they can dry completely. If I going to use the carburetor right after cleaning I do lightly blow dry them being carefully of no high pressure air injection especially with 2 cycle carburetors.

As cleaning the carburetor exterior I use my cleaning solution with my engine cleaning wand to wash the exterior while the carburetor throat covered on both ends. One exterior cleaning solution I use is flammable so I won't mention what it is here on a public forum; don't want someone setting themselves on fire or blowing up their shop from lack of common sense.

As many of us know some these carburetors look like were installed on the under carriage of a dump truck sometimes. This something I serviced for about a year. There were times I had to send out the trucks to had underside washed just to find line fittings. Boy the wash bay guy hated seeing me coming as he knew I was wanting steam cleaning job done.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:52 pm

We have used the DTI cleaning solution with very good success.
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby Matt » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:50 pm

We use full strength pinesol here on any carbs that we have, its cheap and effective. Have learned that removing any plastic/rubber parts is a must and some agitation from time to time, usually 3-4 hours is all thats needed. My 2¢!!
Matt
Forum Regular

Postby creia » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:20 am

"...usually 3 to 4 HOURS is ALL that is needed." (That is "ALL"?!) LOL
Too long for me. Ours are done in 15 MINUTES.
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby StarTech » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Even with plain water and Dawn it usually only takes me 30 mins; Of course, my UC is running @ 180w (3ea 60w transducers). Now sometimes it take less or more time depending the carb size and how dirty.
StarTech

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum