• Advertisement

Tecumseh 8 HP hesitates/stumbles

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Tecumseh 8 HP hesitates/stumbles

Postby creia » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:22 pm

1974 Tecumseh HM80 - 155042A mounted on a Heald Super Bronc "adult-sized" minibike.
When I open the throttle very quickly from a stop (idling) it very briefly hesitates/stumbles then will go WOT as normal. If I open the throttle slower it will not hesitate. Is that generally a too LEAN condition or too RICH condition? Is the correction with the high speed/main mixture needle or the low speed/idle mixture needle, or BOTH? Other than that the engine idles and runs very well.
Thank you for any help,
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Tecumseh 8 HP hesitates/stumbles

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:40 pm

Congrads you just discover why they added accelerator pumps to a lot of 2 and 4 cycle carburetors. You can try running the idle mixture a little on the rich side but that hesitation will always be there as of the small engine weren't design for sudden rapid acceleration.

Matter of fact many of the Zama 2 cycle carburetor have a form of accelerator pumps built in. Some Kohler carburetors also have accelerator pumps. I remember I use to have nightmares with accelerator pumps on my 4 barrel Holley on my 67 Chrysler 300 440 High Performance engine.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:05 pm

Thanks for the reply- much appreciated.We have had various Briggs, Tecs, and even Honda engines. This is the first one that we have had with this kind of stumble/hesitation when you do a quick throttle "snap", YET still idles well and overall runs very good otherwise. I'll try adjusting/richening the idle mixture about 1/8 turn.
Regards,
Michael :)
creia
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:51 pm

Another follow-up question. Will a LEAN carb setting produce a faster or slower IDLE rpm than normal? I have had some trouble getting this engine to idle down to the proper rpm- it tends to idle a bit fast.
Thank you,
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum