• Advertisement

Tecumseh Ring Gear

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Tecumseh Ring Gear

Postby 38racing » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:29 pm

Sky,
I checked Canada post and a 15"x15" x6" 20 lb parcel would be $32 from my place to a postal code in Lethbridge. $40 for 30 lbs. Haven't weighed a flywheel lately.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:40 pm

Final Update

Pinion drive kit arrived so installed onto starter motor. Noted that shoulder bolts were not holding the top side of the starter motor tight against block, so installed a 3/8" tension washer over the shoulder and under the head, starter motor now snug against block. Pinion gear meshes properly with repaired ring gear and unit starts easily. Will deliver unit back to customer on Friday. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:21 am

Glad you got it fixed.

Sounds like the bolt were bottoming out or running out threads. Probably was replaced at one time or other. I had a few Kohler starter here where I had shim them out as they were binding because too much meshing and a few also shim washer installed as you describe.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:43 am

Skywatcher wrote:Final Update

Pinion drive kit arrived so installed onto starter motor. Noted that shoulder bolts were not holding the top side of the starter motor tight against block, so installed a 3/8" tension washer over the shoulder and under the head, starter motor now snug against block. Pinion gear meshes properly with repaired ring gear and unit starts easily. Will deliver unit back to customer on Friday. All the best,

Sky

I had that same issue of looseness when I checked the starter on one of mine. I switched to regular bolts. I'm wondering though why they used shoulder bolts.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:54 am

38racing wrote:
Skywatcher wrote:Final Update

Sky

I had that same issue of looseness when I checked the starter on one of mine. I switched to regular bolts. I'm wondering though why they used shoulder bolts.

Those same bolts were also used (the shoulder part) to fasten down some types of trim and optional accessories.. problem with them was they did not have much clamping load displaced in relation to the starter's mounting slots and eventually the "tangs" would splay apart or the shoulder bolt would get "peened" (or both) and no longer effectively clamp the starter. (some starters have U-shaped slots on one side rather than drilled holes - for easier mounting on bolts that had already been started - again as noted due to some types or optional trim or accessories)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:35 pm

trying to remember if they were 1/4 or 5/16. You can find 1/4 s with a 3/8 head instead of 7/16 and usually with a flange but I think a 5/16 only come in a 1/2 head. Can be tight on those tecs. I think I took the tank mount off to use the regular bolts
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:36 pm

Hi Again

The shoulder bolts have a 1/4" thread, a 3/8" diameter shoulder and a round head that takes a #30 Torx driver. The upper tabs on the starter motor are slotted to fit around the shoulder and under the head. Installation instructions for the starter motor say to install and tighten the shoulder bolts, slide the motor into position, then install and tighten the bottom bolts. This is all well and good in theory, but the top of the motor can move between 1/32" and 1/16".

My theory is this was enough movement that over the course of 7 years of use in Southern Ontario, the lower bolts gradually worked loose and the failure finally happened after the customer moved out here. The last two winters here, most snow blowers never turned a wheel. This year is a different story though, we've had 3 good dumps of snow since Christmas Eve and some pretty chilly temperatures. However, the weather office is calling for temperatures to top +16ºC (+61ºF or 289ºK), I'll believe it when I see it. Take care and all the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum