• Advertisement

another swapped carb

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

another swapped carb

Postby 38racing » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:02 pm

I bought a cheap MTD yardmachines rider model 13dd678g for parts as I had another like it. Thinking now about getting this parts machine running. Engine is 28n707-1118-e5 0106....... OHV.
Checking it out the valves were surprisingly at spec. Pulled carb. Completely rusty bowl. Idle transfers seem clear though. Needs inlet needle and likely seat and inlet elbow. Also I noticed the idle mixture screw (type with limiter cap) was actually bent. So starting to look for parts. Problem is the carb markings make it an LMT-64 but the IPL for the engine number has many LMT numbers but not the 64. I did find an LMT-64 in the IPL for a 28B700 but it is a L-head so I expect a carb swap took place. I guess I will have to see how it runs on the wrong carb? I can get the proper briggs for it now listed as 799727 for just a low $200 cdn from a USA parts place or a mere $262 cdn from amazon.ca. China version are $35 cdn. The idle screw alone for the 64 is looking like $17 cdn. I have a bid in for less than that on a NOS 64 complete carb.
And that's just the carb LOL.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: another swapped carb

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:35 am

May just need to change out the nozzle since it contains the main jet.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:50 pm

KE4AVB wrote:May just need to change out the nozzle since it contains the main jet.

nozzle won't come out. main jet is in side of centre post of this one because it has abs. i notice the kits may have multiple jets.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:30 am

Not questioning what your saying but could I see those carburetor markings? I would to make some notes here about it for later reference on the images that I can store here.

The LMT 64 according the IPL for the 28B700 IPL was to have a replaceable nozzle but I have seen these Briggs IPLs to be wrong before on other engines. This had caused me problems repairing a few Nikki carburetors as the wrong bowl gaskets were listed but now I stock the two main versions. I even had one 15.5 where the rings part numbers were reversed on the ipl for the date code break.

EDIT 20170117. The reason for the request it is I tend to be an info pack rat sometimes especially on trouble items. I used to keep a hand written including drawing of unique problem that were work or hobby related but with the computer things are much easier to keep track of. Most of the info is for my personal use but sometimes I reference to it to help others with similar problems.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:37 pm

The more I look at the LMT 68 that was use on the 28B700 it is more like they modified the carburetor to work on the 27N700 by changing out parts.

Hmmm scratching head now. Sounds like pulling one my tricks.Just modified a Nikki jet on a generator so it could run @ 40F here.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:55 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Not questioning what your saying but could I see those carburetor markings? I would to make some notes here about it for later reference on the images that I can store here.

The LMT 64 according the IPL for the 28B700 IPL was to have a replaceable nozzle but I have seen these Briggs IPLs to be wrong before on other engines. This had caused me problems repairing a few Nikki carburetors as the wrong bowl gaskets were listed but now I stock the two main versions. I even had one 15.5 where the rings part numbers were reversed on the ipl for the date code break.

EDIT 20170117. The reason for the request it is I tend to be an info pack rat sometimes especially on trouble items. I used to keep a hand written including drawing of unique problem that were work or hobby related but with the computer things are much easier to keep track of. Most of the info is for my personal use but sometimes I reference to it to help others with similar problems.

Sorry, I meant that main nozzle will not come out because it's too tight and even the correct size driver bit is breaking the brass tabs. I got the one on ebay for $22 cdn delivered.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:43 pm

Ahhh, I only had one I couldn't get out easily but it was one that sat submerged in water for a few years or at the engine on the mower had sat for three years uncovered. Ended up drilling and used an screw/bolt extractor to remove it. Once out I found too damage from the water.

Most times a hollow ground bit and hammer will loosen them after a good cleaning cycle.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:41 pm

Just an aside. When looking to replace the idle screw I checked another carb sitting on the bench. A note on it said what mower it was on and it just wouldn't run right. Looking at it I see the welch plug is gone from over the idle passage. I really don't remember removing it. That might explain why it wouldn't run right.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:38 pm

So I just received the carb I bought on ebay. Box says 498027. The IPL for the engine that lists it shows a number of LMT numbers that it can be including the 64 that was on my carb and also including '2' which happens to be on my new carb in the same location as the 64. It seems that almost every LMT has 4993 on it or 5-4993. I assume that is maybe a casting number for the body. Now on the new one is engraved the number 1227 and I think the 64 had something like that on it. (not at home right now). Now the other puzzling number engraved on the new one is 498026. One number off from the carb part number. Wondering if they screwed up marking it. A google produced only this and likely the 026 is a typo there because the answer is for the 027.
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Small-Engine ... urator.htm
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:37 pm

38racing wrote:So I just received the carb I bought on ebay. Box says 498027. The IPL for the engine that lists it shows a number of LMT numbers that it can be including the 64 that was on my carb and also including '2' which happens to be on my new carb in the same location as the 64. It seems that almost every LMT has 4993 on it or 5-4993.
5-4993 is the body casting part number used internally by walbro for that carburetor body
I assume that is maybe a casting number for the body. Now on the new one is engraved the number 1227 and I think the 64 had something like that on it. (not at home right now). Now the other puzzling number engraved on the new one is 498026. One number off from the carb part number. Wondering if they screwed up marking it. A google produced only this and likely the 026 is a typo there because the answer is for the 027.
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Small-Engine ... urator.htm
[/quote] 498026 would be a Briggs internal part number used for that particular walbro assembly to which they add THEIR components to create the 498027 carburetor assembly I would say - many such part numbers will never really come up online (except places like this that mention it) for that simple reason - they are often not valid part numbers you'll ever be able to order, but they are internal factory part numbers to identify pieces, bodies, and sub-assemblies which are then matched with other specific pieces to create the actual product that fills an order for a specific part number - In other words, 498026 sub assembly can be used to create 3 or 4 different carburetor configurations..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum