• Advertisement

Husqvarna 455 chainsaw

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Husqvarna 455 chainsaw

Postby Cub Cadet 126 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:52 pm

I am working on a Husqvarna 455 chainsaw . The problem I am having with it is that intermittently at idle the engine will pick up rpms then stop. It will start back up again after it stops. It will also, again intermittently, just stop at high speed when cutting with it. I checked the ignition with a Briggs and Stratton spark tester . It does not look like it is loosing spark when it stops. I pressure checked the fuel line. I checked the fuel filter. I checked the primer. I checked the fuel tank vent. I took off the carburetor. It is a Walbro WTEA-1. Does anyone know how to check the metering lever height on this carburetor? I have the Walbro W tool but there isn't a position on it for this carburetor. I went to the Walbro web site and they don't show a service manual for this carburetor. Does anyone know the Husqvarna part numbers for the crankcase pressure testing plates for this chainsaw. Would they be able to be purcahased from a Husqvarna dealer.
Cub Cadet 126

Advertisement

Re: Husqvarna 455 chainsaw

Postby Skywatcher » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:08 pm

Hi Cub Cadet

I ran into the same series of carburetor on a Stihl chain saw a while ago, see post http://ppeten.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1708&p=12286#p12286 Hope this helps,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby Arkie » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:27 am

Here is a link to a site that is for chainsaw forums and some chainsaw geezers will hit you with info.

Register and post and after you have posted be sure and check that you have subscribed for emails and save your emails for a link back to your post thread later. Sometimes a post will get on page 2 fast and not many replies then, so post a refresh to get it back to the front on page 1. ;)
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/f ... hainsaw.9/
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:38 am

Cub Cadet 126 wrote:I am working on a Husqvarna 455 chainsaw . The problem I am having with it is that intermittently at idle the engine will pick up rpms then stop. It will start back up again after it stops. It will also, again intermittently, just stop at high speed when cutting with it. I checked the ignition with a Briggs and Stratton spark tester . It does not look like it is loosing spark when it stops. I pressure checked the fuel line. I checked the fuel filter. I checked the primer. I checked the fuel tank vent. I took off the carburetor.
Your problem may very well be the crankcase seals.. Outta pick up a pressure vacuum tester (Several posts in these forums regarding them) - Block off plates can be fabricated (pieces of steel and gasket material, or wedges of heavy duty truck inner tube))
It is a Walbro WTEA-1. Does anyone know how to check the metering lever height on this carburetor? I have the Walbro W tool but there isn't a position on it for this carburetor. I went to the Walbro web site and they don't show a service manual for this carburetor. Does anyone know the Husqvarna part numbers for the crankcase pressure testing plates for this chainsaw. Would they be able to be purcahased from a Husqvarna dealer.
[/quote] As noted by Sky , we have a few threads on the carburetors, and walbro service info available at walbro website. As I noted block offs can be fabricated, or Echo part number 91018 test plug and 91041 block off wedges can be utilized along with pressure tester. (We sell both the part numbers mentioned on ebay) - I'd recommend pressure test of carburetor and fuel system followed by crankcase pressure test before condemning the carburetor. - When your idle "picks up roms" without doing anything that usually indicates an air leak somewhere.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:37 am

When using the W tool (500-13-1) Place a 1mm (.039") feeler gauge under each leg of the tool to get the .66mm setting for WTEA as the WT leg is 1.66mm.

The 455/460 service manual will have the mixture adjustment procedures for the EPA-II carburetors.

Note the initial mixture settings are:

• H 2-1/2
  • L 1-1/2
Rpms
  • H 12,500 - 13,500
  • L 2700
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum