• Advertisement

deck spindle mounting bolts

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

deck spindle mounting bolts

Postby 38racing » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:54 pm

Anybody ever get the mounting bolts out of a spindle or do they always break off. I was hoping to just put bearings in one but I tried a bolt and broke it. I have had some success drilling them out and saving the housing. I should have left this one alone and tried to rebuild it while still mounted. I guess I will try drilling it out while the others are still mounting it and then see if I can rebuild in place. If there's clearance for a nut or bolt head why don't they do that. When you break a bolt you still have the housing hole to work with a new bolt.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: deck spndle mounting bolts

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:04 pm

Speed of assembly...and the use of robots.

This the very reason I rebuild spindles while they still attached to the deck. Now I have drilled out the broken bolts on spindles and replaced with a bolt with a nylon locking nut. This usually takes a very good bit to do so.

As far removing the bolts they are usually too corroded in place to remove but if you can budge it then you might get it out by wiggling back and forth with a little extra out each time. Sometimes it works and other (most) times it don't work for me.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby wristpin » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:09 pm

Steel bolt in alloy housing equals GRIEF.
Self tapping steel bolt in alloy housing equals DOUBLE GRIEF!!!
Where ever possible change the bearings in-situ.
wristpin
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:53 am

Don't feel like the lone ranger on this one.

Steel bolt self threaded into aluminum housing = corroded grief. :cry:

I've tried heat/cool, hammering, pecking, etc and I can usually wiggle stuck rusty corroded stuff loose, but I don't even try such on decks any more that have the self threading bolts into a aluminum spindle.
I just rebuild the deck spindles while in place and use a thru bolt on the replacement spindles when possible for my own stuff. :idea:
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby Mr Mower Man » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:17 pm

Yep, I always rebuild those spindles still mounted to the deck as well. I think my average success of self-tapping bolt removal is about 1.5 out of 4. On the bright side, when a customer comes to me wanting to buy a replacement spindle, I always ask if the old one has been removed yet. If the answer is no, I can usually cross sell some new bolts. :D
Mr Mower Man
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:36 pm

I usually the bolts to those sales too as tell better get them while your here than need to make a second trip. I even start them sometimes for them so can get them in straight.
Reworded...

I usually add the bolts to those sales too as it better to tell them (the customer) that is better to get them (the bolts) while you're here than make a second trip. I even start them (the bolts) sometimes for them (the customer) so they can get them (the bolts) started straight.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby NO0C » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:26 pm

This makes no sense to me.

KE4AVB wrote:I usually the bolts to those sales too as tell better get them while your here than need to make a second trip. I even start them sometimes for them so can get them in straight.
NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:44 pm

NO0C wrote:This makes no sense to me.

KE4AVB wrote:I usually the bolts to those sales too as tell better get them while your here than need to make a second trip. I even start them sometimes for them so can get them in straight.

So I was sorta out of it Friday. Very Bad Migraine headache all day ended up taking a double dose to get any relief. And I do have these quite often and have been most of my life. There is days I just feel like shooting myself because of them.

Rewording ...

I usually add the bolts to those sales too as it better to tell them (the customer) that is better to get them (the bolts) while you're here than make a second trip. I even start them (the bolts) sometimes for them (the customer) so they can get them (the bolts) started straight.

Now is that better?
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:40 pm

Don't need to rebuild on deck because the housing was broke. Now I found the deck has some perforation too. Might still be usable by me for a few years but not something I would sell without making a buyer aware of it.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby StarTech » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:52 am

38racing wrote:Don't need to rebuild on deck because the housing was broke. Now I found the deck has some perforation too. Might still be usable by me for a few years but not something I would sell without making a buyer aware of it.

38, You would probably be surprised at the number mower decks I have repaired because of either rust though, wear though, or simply impact damage. With a acetylene torch, a wire welder and hammer plus a good source of donor sheet metal, be it a scrape mower or other items. Just need a little cleanup afterwords and paint.

I will admit some decks that come are so bad that I simply get the customer a new or used deck if they are will to part with the money. There is some customers that would rather have teeth pulled without pain killers then try open up the wallet.

I have fabricated new MTD deck hangers out angle iron recovered from bed frames (rails) many times. These is where brackets was completely missing and not available as weld on item from MTD. I also got currently 7 ea 24 x 48 x 69 shelving units with plywood as shelves made from these angle iron bed frames.

I know of one 1966 Ford pickup that is part Ford riding mower because of use of recovered sheet material to repair rusted out body parts.
StarTech

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum