• Advertisement

something to discuss on a cold day

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

something to discuss on a cold day

Postby okie » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:02 am

John 3:16
okie
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: something to discuss on a cold day

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:29 pm

You know I never it a serious thought. I have however had to start using locking gas caps on my trucks as some I keep getting a lot water in the fuel. I was thinking that just getting at the fuel depot; until, I found the molted bug casings that last time I pulled the tank. I haven't had a single problem since the lock caps.

I know when I was a kid in Salinas, California in the late 60's there was someone using a product called water glass to destroy racer engines. It was impeding the water flow after the vehicle heat and then cool off solidifying the water.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby okie » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:15 pm

even tho it appears that sugar does not dissolve in gasoline, I still do not want any in my tank. I remember hearing about this just as I was getting my driving licenses. That was a long time ago.

Glad to see you back Eugene. Hope all went well. Did you straighten the gang out? :D :D

Travis :usa:
John 3:16
okie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:03 am

Got several things done. Mainly I got away from all the electronics and got a good rest though I did carry the phone with me just in case.

I did leave early, got tired of being harassed about my single status. Too many of the females trying to fix me up. And too many of the braves assuming I was hitting on the chief's youngest daughter as we were having long talks. Heck I have known her my whole life and was just catching on others lives as we haven't each other seen in ten years. At least Robin hasn't haven't gotten that middle age spread like her other sisters. Little Dear the chief's eldest daughter isn't so little anymore more like huge buffalo @ 300 lbs.

I am getting a price shock on some the Briggs parts I ordered for Starfire while he keeping my customers happy. He ordered one valve guide bushing and the price was 34% higher than what I paid just 6 months ago. It actually cost more than what I sold it for last time. Previous cost was 3.10 and sold for 3.95 now it cost 4.76 and sells for 5.95. Glad he didn't need the other one that is 14.00 retail but I have a couple of the aftermarkets left. Big difference between the OEM 11.20 and AM 2.33 part cost. For that one I am just make my own from now on.

I going to need check prices every time for cost increase now as replacement costs are exceeding the previous sale price on my system. I even had one stock order where the Husqvarna gas caps nearly double in price in less a month (from 3.25 to 6.06), ouch...At least I did sell any at the old price while I was waiting on the order to come in. I am now also will be adding shipping charges to special orders instead absorbing them; too many single item orders. Of course if the part is in stock then there is no shipping to consider as most are from stock orders with free shipping.

Just wish Starfire would have put my tools back where they came from. I spent the better part of Sunday sorting the tools out so I can find them again. His way is put them all in one box and dig for them when needed; must have been a hurry as it not that way at his shop. Well I called him later today to discuss what went on while I was gone.

I got how my download files for here got flagged as private. Maybe Google did a system restore.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:19 am

KE4AVB wrote:
I am getting a price shock on some the Briggs parts I ordered for Starfire while he keeping my customers happy. He ordered one valve guide bushing and the price was 34% higher than what I paid just 6 months ago. It actually cost more than what I sold it for last time. Previous cost was 3.10 and sold for 3.95 now it cost 4.76 and sells for 5.95. Glad he didn't need the other one that is 14.00 retail but I have a couple of the aftermarkets left. Big difference between the OEM 11.20 and AM 2.33 part cost. For that one I am just make my own from now on.

I going to need check prices every time for cost increase now as replacement costs are exceeding the previous sale price on my system.

Yep - Generally they do a price file adjustment every year - I think Briggs and Kohler do theirs in September or October, Echo does in December. I dont remember when MTD does theirs - Briggs is often the worst at the "price shock" some relatively cheap parts can double or triple in price like a bowl nut gasket going from $1.38 all the way to $3.00 *dealer cost* now.. I'm starting to consider bringing in Stens again for AM replacements for stuff like that (Since I get Oregon parts from the Briggs distributor, Briggs AM from Oregon is "NLA" though I could get Oregon from 2 other distributors as well but not at the better pricing I get from main distributor.) - MTD usually is more modest at around 8-10% every year across the board , Echo is kind of middle ground with their price adjustments.. some items go up a lot, some actually go down in price.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:51 am

That is sorta like when Sunbelt started selling Briggs parts nearly all the aftermarket parts for Briggs like air filter disappeared from their site and catalog. So I now ordering those filters from my secondary vendor. I just need to a little more research as the Sunbelt stock I have sells out to find the best rate.

I can't blame they needing increase prices just wish they were a kinder to us. It just seems like every time I turn around there is some new bill to pay. Just as my internet service provider did when they went up $20 per month and I stuck with them as they are the only game in town and they know it. This something that I just got add into my service pricing as it gets passed along to the customer. For the vendor they may have increase costs and probably do that are being passed along to us.

Any way it still makes things hard to keep up with at times.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:42 pm

speaking of briggs pricing this looks like a hike
https://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-For-P ... 1990-Parts
Same # NLA? was 4.20 now 18.00
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:13 pm

I never thought sugar would do anything but block the fuel..Never heard anyone say it would ruin an entire engine...
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Matt » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:48 pm

My f150 doesnt even have a gas cap, its one of them capless filler jobby's, hate them, cant even get a plug or some kind of cap to put over it for piece of mind. What a horrible design in my opinion.
Matt
Forum Regular

Return to Technical Discussion Forum