• Advertisement

briggs ohv intake valve seal

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

briggs ohv intake valve seal

Postby 38racing » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:48 am

despite the number of head gaskets I have replaced I have never replaced the valve seal. I am just going over this 28N707 that I want to refurbish. I have the head off and I notice some soft oily carbon on the intake side. Manual just says. remove and replace , so is it a simple pull off/push on for the valve seal? Should I want to go back and do a previous one has any one ever used the compressed air in a cylinder to hold valve in place to change one without removing the head?
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: briggs ohv intake valve seal

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:21 am

Well sorta. It not simple to remove as they are pressed on as they are metal to metal contact. You need cut it off or at least use a relief cut. You now may need to remove the head to install the new seal so have the needed gaskets ready. I not sure if these are part those heads that are affected by the following change.

Some valve seals are no longer installed on the spring side. See MS10379 for install instructions. Available in the Advance Info directory under the Briggs Service Info link in the Downloads.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:31 am

KE4AVB wrote:Well sorta. It not simple to remove as they are pressed on as they are metal to metal contact. You need cut it off or at least use a relief cut. You now may need to remove the head to install the new seal so have the needed gaskets ready. I not sure if these are part those heads that are affected by the following change.

Some valve seals are no longer installed on the spring side. See MS10379 for install instructions. Available in the Advance Info directory under the Briggs Service Info link in the Downloads.

I saw that sheet. It applies to the 12 series that now use seal like I have to replace.so I guess tapping on with the socket will apply.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Walt 2002 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:00 pm

Well you can poke a length of nylon rope in the spark plug hole and turn the crank to push the rope up against the valve to hold it. Be sure you are on the compression stroke. Leave the end out so you can pull the rope back out afterwards of course.

As for the valve seal, seems like I just grabbed them with pliers, twisted and pulled. Short pc. of pipe over valve and against seal, tap with hammer to re-install.

Walt Conner
Walt 2002
Forum Regular

Postby dennis » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:14 pm

Make a simple puller. Use a 1/4 inch bolt (from memory....use one that will screw into seal and grab metal around rubber). First thread a nut up to near top of bolt, followed by a large washer. The washer will cover the valve seat. Thread bolt into seal, and tighten nut down on washer, which will pull seal right out.
dennis
Forum Pro

Postby dennis » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:16 pm

ignore previous reply. Sorry, I did not notice that it was OHV, not L-head, until after i hit send button!
dennis
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum