• Advertisement

adding electric start to 6.5 clone

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

adding electric start to 6.5 clone

Postby 38racing » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:42 am

I am thinking of buying an electric start kit for a 6.5 honda clone on my genset. Vendor says "CHECK TO MAKE SURE THAT YOUR ENGINE HAS A PROVISION OR A KNOCKOUT ON THE RIGHT SIDE WHEN FACING THE FLYWHEEL FOR THE NOSE OF THE STARTER TO GO THROUGH. SOME ENGINES WILL REQUIRE YOU TO CUT OUT A HOLE, SOME NOT." Anybody maybe have more details on this? maybe a picture? I assume it's not in the shroud as the kit includes a shroud.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/351674473257?ul_noapp=true
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: adding electric start to 6.5 clone

Postby Skywatcher » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:35 pm

Hi 38

The knockout that referred to is on the aluminum casting behind the flywheel. Compare the replacement cowl (picture # 5 of listing) and you'll see a round bulge for the Bendix drive to the top left of the image. Compare your cowl to the one in the image and figure out where this bulge would fit on your engine. Now look behind the flywheel at this location and you should see a semicircular line of thinner metal around the breakout portion. Also check for the necessary bolt holes around the breakout for mounting the starter motor. If neither of these features are present on your engine, the engine is not designed for electric start option. Hope this helps and all the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby 38racing » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:31 pm

Skywatcher wrote:Hi 38

The knockout that referred to is on the aluminum casting behind the flywheel. Compare the replacement cowl (picture # 5 of listing) and you'll see a round bulge for the Bendix drive to the top left of the image. Compare your cowl to the one in the image and figure out where this bulge would fit on your engine. Now look behind the flywheel at this location and you should see a semicircular line of thinner metal around the breakout portion. Also check for the necessary bolt holes around the breakout for mounting the starter motor. If neither of these features are present on your engine, the engine is not designed for electric start option. Hope this helps and all the best,

Sky

thanks, I forgot all about the bolt holes. My unit is a King Canada. I should look and see if they had a kit available
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:36 pm

i pulled the shroud and I don't see any holes for mounting a starter. there is a small shield but I am sure there is nothing under it. I can't believe that I can't find a video of of a starter install.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:21 pm

Does it have a ring gear?
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:43 pm

Hi Roy

The new flywheel supplied with the starter kit has a ring gear, check the link in 38's first post. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby RoyM » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:02 pm

Thanks, I had not opened the link. How in pluperfect heck can they retail that kit for 70 bucks? All this for a hundred dollar engine?
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:23 pm

I think what is being refered to is the blue area inside the orange hexagon in the following image. Not all GX160 clones have this area.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:23 pm

and those would be mounting holes at 12 and 4 o'clock in the orange hex?
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:48 pm

I would think so.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum