• Advertisement

Briggs vs. Tecumseh valves and valve guides

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs vs. Tecumseh valves and valve guides

Postby creia » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:15 pm

This is for the old "flat head" engines of the 60's, 70's, and 80's...
Does anybody know if the valve stems OD and the valve guides ID are the same for each brand of the same horsepower? I am especially interested in the 5 Hp and 8 HP engines. I purchased a couple of Briggs NOS "plug gauge" tools to check for worn out valve guides and hoping that I can use them on Tecumseh engines of matching HP as well.
Thanks for any help. :)
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Briggs vs. Tecumseh valves and valve guides

Postby Fulltilt » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:10 am

Should be a simple matter to look up the dimensions in the correct manuals. Most all contain the valve stem diam.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:29 am

Can't say here for myself as I only had dealings in with the Briggs on valve and guide replacements and they do have more than two sizes for their engines. Just haven't seen problems with the Kawasaki and Kohler engines yet.

The Tecumseh 3-11 hp L head SM does suggest that you would be dealing with mainly 1/4" and 5/16" valves with a possible third size though the valve guide is only about .001" difference from the 1/4".

Fulltilt wrote:Should be a simple matter to look up the dimensions in the correct manuals. Most all contain the valve stem diam.

Would be nice if they all did but they don't and some don't even have specs listed especially those from China. And this does make it harder to do things when you not a simple parts replacer.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:20 pm

Fulltilt wrote:Should be a simple matter to look up the dimensions in the correct manuals. Most all contain the valve stem diam.

"Should be", however, that is definitely NOT the case. I likely every flathead Briggs and Tecumseh repair manual every published and none of them provide that information (I looked before posting my question here).
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:57 pm

Now you see my problem when I first started rebuilding the Briggs engines.

Here something you might need to know about the 3-16hp single cylinder mechanical governor engines 1/4" cross shaft bushing. The Briggs tools list the finish reamer as 1/4" (6.35mm) when this is too big. It is either a letter "B" or "C" that is the actual finish reamer. I don't know actually which I used as it has been a while but I am thinking it was the "B" but I did order both. I know because the first I one did was leaking a lot and was very loose. When I got the replacement shaft in it was also too loose. I tried the 1/4 finish reamer and it would not even go into the worn out bushing. It took me some research to find the correct reamer and Briggs tech support was of no help. So sometimes you need to use your best judgment on what is needed.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:18 pm

Thank you for the continued relies- much appreciated. :)
If someone could provide me with the EXACT measurement (in decimal inches, using a micrometer) of the 1/4" and 5/16"valve stems of a BRAND NEW valve from both a Tecumseh and and Briggs flathead it would GREATLY help me in my diagnosis- anyone?
Thank you,
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:05 am

I can get the 1/4 Briggs dim in the morning as I have a few in the inventory or at least the inventory shows I got both intake and exhaust out there. I'm thinking they are .245 - .247 but will make sure.

I got an appointment in the morning so it be a little later. Sorry no 5/16 valves in stock here, just haven't needed them. Of course I didn't a 1/8" or 3/16" countersink until today either for a Honda project.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:33 am

These are for the ones I have currently have in Stock. Tnx for getting me to stock check as I show 3 of 1 of 296676 when I only had 1.

1/4" valves
Briggs 296676 Exhaust 0.2455
Briggs 261044 Intake 0.247
Briggs 590393 Intake 0.2455
Briggs 296677 Intake 0.2455
Briggs 296676 Exhaust 0.245
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:27 pm

Well, most all valve stems have an unworn diameter up near the keeper/ collar area. Usually easily visible on any used valve I've dealt with and can be accurately measured.
Any more though, if they show any visible wear, scuffing etc., I just replace 'em.
I had a set of small bore guages like these to measure valve guides and other small caliber holes. https://www.zoro.com/starrett-hole-gage ... lsrc=aw.ds
They make cheaper versions and also flat bottomed ones, though I liked the full round ones.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:50 pm

I think Micheal is just trying figure what tools he is going most times. To this end I would suggest starting out the Briggs 1/4 and 5/16 sets; though so far, I haven't use the 5/16 set since I brought it in 2009. My 1/4 set is a little different than most as it is setup to install my own brass valve guides which are like the after-market that was once out there for the 1/4 Briggs version. I just hate having to pay $12 for a 1" piece of brass tubing.

With this I going back on break...Wanting to get my spring stuff ready for the garden and get a materials list for a new storage shop priced out.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum