• Advertisement

Briggs vs. Tecumseh valves and valve guides

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Briggs vs. Tecumseh valves and valve guides

Postby creia » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:22 pm

Thank you very much for those valve stem measurements- extremely helpful! :D
As it turned out, my son located 2 brand new 1/4" valves for a Tec HS40 that I did not know we even had :oops:
If anybody needs to know:
Exhaust = .242"
Intake = .246
I wonder if the exhaust valve stems are typically slightly smaller diameter to allow for expansion due to heat? Can anybody confirm this?
Sooooo, All that I (now) need are the measurements for the larger 5/16" Briggs and Tecumseh (brand new)valve stems.
I did purchase both of the Briggs Plug Gauge tools for checking valve guides for the 1/4" (#19122) and 5/16" (# 19151) valves and am HOPING they will work for the Tecumseh equivalents, hence, in need of the measurements.
Regards,
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:02 pm

So noted in my copy of the SM. Tnx :)
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:03 pm

creia wrote:I wonder if the exhaust valve stems are typically slightly smaller diameter to allow for expansion due to heat? Can anybody confirm this?
Sooooo, All that I (now) need are the measurements for the larger 5/16" Briggs and Tecumseh (brand new)valve stems.
I did purchase both of the Briggs Plug Gauge tools for checking valve guides for the 1/4" (#19122) and 5/16" (# 19151) valves and am HOPING they will work for the Tecumseh equivalents, hence, in need of the measurements.
Regards,
Michael

That, and to allow for lubrication and some carbon buildup.

So what do the gauges mike out to??
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby creia » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:15 pm

Fulltilt wrote:
creia wrote:I wonder if the exhaust valve stems are typically slightly smaller diameter to allow for expansion due to heat? Can anybody confirm this?
Regards,
Michael

That, and to allow for lubrication and some carbon buildup.

So what do the gauges mike out to??

For the 5/16" gauge (part # 19151) = .328" which is the "reject" (worn out) valve guide measurement as per Briggs specs
I have not received my 1/4" gauge yet from the Ebay purchase. I will post when I get it.
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby StarTech » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:22 pm

Can save you the time waiting as it is .265 but you will find that guides will give problems before it fits in the worn guide. That measurement is half way to ream out size for the new bushing. The Briggs reamer is 9/32 install the bushing and that gauge is 17/64. That like saying an cylinder with .010 over wear is okay on a rebuild and that is a lot closer tolerance.
StarTech

Postby bgsengine » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:31 pm

Starfire1 wrote:Can save you the time waiting as it is .265 but you will find that guides will give problems before it fits in the worn guide. That measurement is half way to ream out size for the new bushing. The Briggs reamer is 9/32 install the bushing and that gauge is 17/64. That like saying an cylinder with .010 over wear is okay on a rebuild and that is a lot closer tolerance.

Yeah I quit using the gauges long ago when I realized a valve guide and valve worn enough to wobble and not seat completely every time still would pass the gauge test. I ended up just using a wobble test with the valve slightly open and see if I could push it to one side enough to make it hang open when rotating crank back from that just open spot.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby creia » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:35 pm

Starfire1 wrote:Can save you the time waiting as it is .265 but you will find that guides will give problems before it fits in the worn guide. That measurement is half way to ream out size for the new bushing. The Briggs reamer is 9/32 install the bushing and that gauge is 17/64. That like saying an cylinder with .010 over wear is okay on a rebuild and that is a lot closer tolerance.

Starfire is correct as I received the smaller Briggs plug gauge today and it is indeed .265" I would STILL like to know (and it would be VERY helpful) if the NEW Tecumseh 5/16" valve stems micrometer out to the same exact diameter as the NEW Briggs 5/16" valve stems.- Does anybody know?
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum