• Advertisement

Courage SV590 Starter Current Draw

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Courage SV590 Starter Current Draw

Postby hanz63 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:43 pm

Earlier than 2013 is when the issues were. More like the first few years - so that would be 2006 ish? It could still be an issue. Assuming the valve lash has been set, try putting a .020" feeler gauge under the exhaust valve and giving it a crank. You could just simply try a new starter. Haven't they updated the singles like they did the twins?
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:41 am

At least it looks like fixed the cylinder to crankcase breakage with the re-enforcement. Personally never seen one but heard of several breaking before they did the enforcement.

I give that test a try if I need to work it anymore or another one comes with similar problems.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:03 pm

hanz63 wrote:You might recall that these earlier models had issues with the ACR. The plastic gear let go of the spring I think? It has been awhile since I had one. If you slip a feeler gauge in at the rocker, what does your draw then say? Of course the starters are new and improved as well- higher torque /speed.

That is a good tip, using a feeler gauge to reduce exhaust valve lash and then crank test. ;)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:13 pm

Arkie wrote:
hanz63 wrote:You might recall that these earlier models had issues with the ACR. The plastic gear let go of the spring I think? It has been awhile since I had one. If you slip a feeler gauge in at the rocker, what does your draw then say? Of course the starters are new and improved as well- higher torque /speed.

That is a good tip, using a feeler gauge to reduce exhaust valve lash and then crank test. ;)

That is a good tip. I like it!!
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum