• Advertisement

Head bolts, anti-seizing compound, and torque values

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Head bolts, anti-seizing compound, and torque values

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:10 am

Fulltilt wrote:Lock washers on head bolts??? Nope. Not today. Never heard of anyone using lock washers on a head bolt, never.
Most head bolts have a slight "washer/flange" type head on them, not being an engineer, I would assume to spread the clamping load a bit. So, if you use a lockwasher, it seems it would defeat the purpose of the head bolt design. I've never seen a lock washer that is as wide as a head bolt flange.

Then you never worked on the Tecumseh that had Belleville washers on the head bolts then. I had used lock washer as I didn't have any of Belleville washers of the correct size on hand and they fairly expensive to just order a few; unless, I ordering other fasteners at the time.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:34 pm

KE4AVB wrote:
Fulltilt wrote:Lock washers on head bolts??? Nope. Not today. Never heard of anyone using lock washers on a head bolt, never.
Most head bolts have a slight "washer/flange" type head on them, not being an engineer, I would assume to spread the clamping load a bit. So, if you use a lockwasher, it seems it would defeat the purpose of the head bolt design. I've never seen a lock washer that is as wide as a head bolt flange.

Then you never worked on the Tecumseh that had Belleville washers on the head bolts then. I had used lock washer as I didn't have any of Belleville washers of the correct size on hand and they fairly expensive to just order a few; unless, I ordering other fasteners at the time.

Lockwashers...belleville washers...not the same animal.
Nope, never have. Every Tecumseh I've worked on that required belleville washers also had/required flat washers under the belleville washers.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby creia » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:59 pm

Thank you to everyone that replied. It was most appreciated, and you have given me direction. My son and I will continue to do as we have always done- clean the bolt threads and the thread holes in the block real good and install and torque them dry. This has worked for us so far (10 years) w/o any problems.
Michael :)
creia
Forum Pro

Postby wristpin » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:05 pm

If you check the headbolts on just about any L head briggs , you will generally find the two or three bolts around the exhaust valve area are noticeably less tight than the others. ( as was mentioned) I wouldn't call them "loose" per se, but they usually need to be snugged up. Every one I've ever fingerprinted needed tightening.

Never found that - they are often the ones that I find to be seized!
wristpin
Forum Pro

Postby Matt » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:55 pm

There is absolutely a different torque setting between dry and wet(lubed) threads, as you know. I dont have any magic formula that i can provide or any rule of thumb, but using anything on the threads and the required torque from the manufacturer will result in overtightening and thread/fastener or part failure.
Matt
Forum Regular

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum