• Advertisement

Replacing PTO clutch

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Replacing PTO clutch

Postby bob » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:50 pm

I am replacing a pto clutch on a John Deere STX38 which I received in parts so I am not sure all the parts are there. When I put the pto clutch on does it just but up to the drive pulley or are there washers between . Thankyou
bob
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Replacing PTO clutch

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:12 pm

I assuming it is the yellow deck. I would need the serial number as there was two different setups.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:57 pm

bob wrote:I am replacing a pto clutch on a John Deere STX38 which I received in parts so I am not sure all the parts are there. When I put the pto clutch on does it just but up to the drive pulley or are there washers between . Thankyou

You can look up the parts here :http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby bob » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:28 pm

Yes it is the yellow deck. I was just looking for a general answer for most PTO clutches as I think they would follow a general rule. I have looked on JD site but it is hard to tell from their drawing.Thanks
bob
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:27 pm

bob wrote:Yes it is the yellow deck. I was just looking for a general answer for most PTO clutches as I think they would follow a general rule. I have looked on JD site but it is hard to tell from their drawing.Thanks

Actually don't when it comes to the JDs I have seen 1 washer, 1 spacer, and sometimes spacer and washer that why need you the serial to look-up the setup. I was wrong, there are 3 setups on the STX38.

And Fulltilt I see your still using the old parts catalog. The new Snap-on version is a little easier to navigate for me at least especially zooms, printing features and ordering features. Even these don't have all the notes that the dealers have access to. Example was the size of the pop rivet I needed on the X300 last week. Look-ups only shows the part number and the parts counter was able to look-up give me the actual size as they didn't stock it. I went to Fastenal and got them.

As with all parts catalogs the serial numbers breaks are not always correct either as I found out last year while working the drive train of a JD X320.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:56 am

KE4AVB wrote:
And Fulltilt I see your still using the old parts catalog. The new Snap-on version is a little easier to navigate for me at least especially zooms, printing features and ordering features.

I use both. I have a really good JD dealer close by, the parts crew are very helpful, and the service mgr. has even printed out wiring diagrams for me. I usually just give them a call.
BTW, the link to the new snap on version you provided was most helpful.
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby Arkie » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:05 am

Have you seen this free Service manual for the STX38? Looks like lots of good info. ;)

at this link. It takes it awhile to view all of the 200 page so give it some time for viewing the later pages.

I was working on some JD mowers awhile back and could eventually find free downloadable SERVICE manuals for most, although some of the attachments Service left lots of info out.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_XZLM ... edit?pli=1
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:13 am

Good find! Thanks for sharing.
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby bob » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:49 am

Yes thanks for sharing