• Advertisement

B&S Coils

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

B&S Coils

Postby kburns » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:34 pm

A friend of mine in the scrap metal business gave me a handful of coils he pulled off of some mowers he scrapped. He has no idea what the engine model numbers were, but he says they all were B&S. Is there some way I can figure out which engine each one fits? Or can I just figure that if it fits on an engine it will work fine? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
kburns

Advertisement

Re: B&S Coils

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:06 am

Wish could be of help but I haven't all that many coil packs. Most my problems are usually trace to other problems. I do know that they several different version out there. Some of the newer v-twins coils even require mods to the engine to even mount the new OEM replacements.

Now if they are off aluminum L-heads then 2-4hp generally uses the same, 7-16hp uses the same coils, 5 hp are in a class of their own. If I recall correctly the coil legs are spaced differently. After that it is kinda pot luck with the newer Ohvs. And like I said I haven't replaced many, matter of fact I have only replace one here in three years and that was on a Honda that mice chewed to pieces. For mice chewed high voltage leads I usually just replace them. This don't include the two on an Evinrude that crack from age and was arcing to ground.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Walt 2002 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:31 am

B&S electronic coil ignition units are very interchangeable. Generally, IF the mounting holes match, they will work. There are slight differences in spacing and slot sizes on the coils to help identify them. Even some flathead and OHV coils will interchange but the OHV have a longer plug lead.

Walt Conner
Walt 2002
Forum Regular

Postby bgsengine » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:12 am

Walt 2002 wrote:B&S electronic coil ignition units are very interchangeable. Generally, IF the mounting holes match, they will work. There are slight differences in spacing and slot sizes on the coils to help identify them. Even some flathead and OHV coils will interchange but the OHV have a longer plug lead.

Walt Conner
Not to mention the radius of the armature to match up with flywheel size
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Return to Technical Discussion Forum