• Advertisement

Briggs & Stratton Crank

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Briggs & Stratton Crank

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:22 pm

Lightly clean again with the acid then rinse the crank journal with water and oil afterwards, that should take care of the rust flash. Just don't add the water directly into the acid container. See the cautions on label.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:54 pm

That's a great idea. This time I'll be sure to rinse it off after. Thank you.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:16 pm

Well this is going well so far but I've run into a snag. This is obviously my first time. So I've assembled the piston and rod but can not, as hard as I try, get that little pin in. I believe it's called a wrist pin. If I didn't know any better, I'd say it's impossible. Any tips?

Thanks
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:59 pm

Please disregard my last. I searched the forum and found some useful tips that worked. Should have done that first. My apologies.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:00 pm

lefty wrote:Well this is going well so far but I've run into a snag. This is obviously my first time. So I've assembled the piston and rod but can not, as hard as I try, get that little pin in. I believe it's called a wrist pin. If I didn't know any better, I'd say it's impossible. Any tips?

Thanks

They are a VERY tight fit to the piston in some cases - and also check the piston and make sure your G-clips or piston pin clips are not already installed :bricks: try the pin in the connecting rod only and see if it fits - it has to go in square and should be a very close (but not tight) fit - if it is a new piston, make sure you are not trying to put the pin in from the side that already (sometimes) has a retaining clip installed - and see if the pin will slip into the piston where it is supposed to go.

and yes it is also called a wrist pin.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby lefty » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:54 pm

Once again, thank you. Everything has gone well.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:46 am

So I got this thing back together and guess what....no extra parts!

My first rebuild is done but there's one problem...I'm too scared to start it. Is there anything I should know before I start her up? Just pull and hope for the best?

I replaced the piston, rod and rings, related gaskets and oil seals. I lapped the valves and cleaned the carb. I also honed the cylinder.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:49 am

everything torqued down/. got fresh oil in 'er? then fire 'er up - worst that can happen is a rod going through the side of the block, pretty much (unless you forgot to tighten the blade bolt.. :bricks: )
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:17 am

As BGS said just start it up after you done a mental check of what you have done including timing and that you have done the static governor setup. Don't forget this static adjustment or you will have a runaway engine. Always be prepared for a quick shutdown if needed if something isn't right.

Rebuilding a small single cylinder is the best when as it a lot less costly if things does go wrong. Once you get a few these done then you will feel more confident in doing the next which would oversizing the cylinder. But this would require a ridge hone as flex won't straighten out an ovaled or a tapered or both of a worn cylinder.

One last thing I hope you didn't feed the gremlins after midnight. :popcorn:
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:33 am

Thanks guys. Regarding the governor.... the exterior governor arm is bolted to the shaft that comes out of the engine. I believe this is where the adjustment is made. When I disassembled the engine, I did not mess around with this setting. I left all the governor linkage intact. Do I still need to set this or should it be fine as is?
lefty
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum