• Advertisement

Briggs & Stratton Crank

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Briggs & Stratton Crank

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:43 am

Then you should be good for launch.

In case you haven't already done so download the service manual for single L-Head engines. You also what get a copy of the Briggs' Repairman's Handbook, Both available through the downloads forum from my Google Drive. It will have most of the adjustment procedures; just not much on actual overhauls but we are here to walk you through most of that as you learn through experience.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:07 pm

Thank you. I think I'm good to go than. Just need to put the blade on, add oil and gas. I'm going to have a big meal and then give her a go later today. I hope to report back with a success story.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:07 pm

I'm shocked...it started on the first pull and sounds great. I ran it for about a minute but was scared to go any further. How do I know when I'm out of the woods? If at all?
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:37 pm

lefty wrote:I'm shocked...it started on the first pull and sounds great. I ran it for about a minute but was scared to go any further. How do I know when I'm out of the woods? If at all?
Looks like you answered your question in the first sentence
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby lefty » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:05 pm

Well that's good news. Thanks to everyone for the help on this one.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:17 pm

Quick question, not to be a pain or nervous nelly.....So I ran this for about 5 minutes today to give it a longer duration test. Everything ran great but when I shut her down, there was an ever so slight amount of smoke that rose up through the shroud from under the fly wheel. I ran it again for another 5 minutes and had the same.

The smoke is pretty short in duration and is a small amount. Looks whitish. Doesn't smell like oil, gas or anything else burning. Honestly, it has a yummy smell to it...almost like chicken (of course everything smells like chicken). Or like the faint smell of what's cooking at a carnival.

Not sure if that sounds weird or is anything to be concerned about.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:33 pm

Does it have a stator winding? (to charge a battery)

I'm just winging this without reviewing the previous pages, I'm thinking it was a 12 hp engine on a mower and you are hand cranking it.

Is it set up for electric start on a riding mower?

If so make sure the stator wires are not grounded or shorted if it has a stator for such.

The stator would be under the flywheel and couple wires hanging out and it has some plastic and electrical coils and would probably produce white smoke and weird plastic smell for awhile and might even melt and get into the flywheel if it's burning or getting hot. :popcorn:

Might just be some grease burning off the block but might have to lift the cowling and take a peek if it don't have a stator.
Some of the briggs electric start can be started electrically with the cowling off. Do not operate one with the air cowling off for more than few seconds or they will overheat.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:27 pm

Arkie wrote:Does it have a stator winding? (to charge a battery).

Negative. It's just a magneto type coil on a push mower. Just did a new piston, rings, rod, valve lap, gaskets, seals and cylinder honing. I did clean the block thoroughly and there may still be some solvent on the outside of the block maybe?
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:46 pm

lefty wrote:
Arkie wrote:Does it have a stator winding? (to charge a battery).

. I did clean the block thoroughly and there may still be some solvent on the outside of the block maybe?

Which is probably it - actually you should let it run 15-20 minutes and actually use it a bit (mow with it) - engine never really gets hot enough at 5 minutes run time to really "heat treat" things - AKA Operating temperature.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:50 pm

Arkie talk about being out in left field, the engine is a 12 cu in and not one that 28 cu in. That like saying an aircraft carrier was in the Sea of Japan when it actually was over in the Indian Ocean. Way off course. :lol:

A new rebuilt engine will sometime smoke a little as the old oils are burned off. The same happens on 2 cycles that I repair that haven't run in years. It should subside after about 10 minutes or so. Like BGS go out and mower your lawn with it and get it up to operating temperature.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum