• Advertisement

Just a comment....

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Just a comment....

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:45 pm

Boy I hate it when the service manual leaves important details out about the electrical system. No help needed as I already got the system repaired but have been repair a week eariler if the info I now know was in the service manual. At least it is now in my copy of the SM. I didn't know anyone was using a full wave SCR bridge rectifier setup.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Just a comment....

Postby Mr Mower Man » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:38 pm

Same here. A friend loaned me a service manual for an International 234 with a wiring problem. Only part of the electrical system was diagrammed in the manual, and of course it wasn't the section I was working on. I had to find the schematic on the internet somewhere. Now why didn't that find its way into the service manual? :?:
Mr Mower Man
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:55 pm

So you now how I feel then about having brought a $130 M97348 regulator just to find it wouldn't work either even when there is nothing with it or the old regulator. I ended up sleeping on the problem and it then dawn on me @ 2 AM what I was missing. It something I have only thought of doing myself years ago. Tested my theory this morning and I was right so the ZTR will be finish up when the rain stops after I get to Fastenal Monday for some M6-1.00x 25 screws. No one locally stock Metrics much around here.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:52 am

The old Onan ladder diagram troubleshooting service manuals can sure spoil guy. A Onan service manual was actually a real Service manual.
Just walk you right thru step by step troubleshooting. Heck Ronnie Milsap could use those to locate and repair Onan electrical and mechanical. Some of Onan's Service manuals were two separate manuals for electrical and mechanical.(and priced within reason)

I was into a Electrical issue on a piece of equipment awhile back and the service manual was worthless for troubleshooting the electrical control circuits and not all that great for mechanical.
Service section would just get you in far enough to wonder where that wire comes from and the correct wiring diagrams color code did not even match the equipment. :popcorn:

I do believe in Service manuals, but now days I'm not surprised when they are weak on service info and not much better than a owners manual. :popcorn:
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:43 am

Arkie,

I think you're on to something there as I might be spoiled too. I get the feeling that some manufacture don't even care about the equipment ever getting serviced. All this just replace a part to see if it is the problem is the pits. I like knowing if things are right or not especially when it comes to clearances.

I use to work on forms handling equipment where there was 100+ wires; they were all white, just numbered and you had to have complete diagrams to trace problems. No wonder I got so many grey hairs but at least I still got most of hair. A co worker friend was balding by 25 from all those wiring problems.
I do believe in Service manuals, but now days I'm not surprised when they are weak on service info and not much better than a owners manual. :popcorn:

If you can even find an owner that makes sense and that's saying a lot. The owners manual I got with my new Husqvarna chainsaw is nothing but pictures. Surprised it wasn't done in crayon.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:56 am

when companies are looking to keep costs low they probably don't see manuals as a good investment. and when someone is debating briggs versus clone do they say ' oh I'll pay more for briggs because they have good manuals'?
38racing
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum