• Advertisement

Briggs & Stratton Crank

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Briggs & Stratton Crank

Postby HondaG100 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:36 pm

Congrats man! As you have found out there is a ton of info out there about rebuilding that just doesn't apply when working on small low hp engines for fun. I have rebuilt many Honda engines in the last few years due to localized demand for a discontinued engine and each one is a blast to start up for the first time and break in. I did not see anyone mention it so I will say that you should vary the throttle settings a bunch at least for the first hour and also let it cool completely between runs. Change the oil after the first hour and also after about 5 or so. You will see metal shavings in the first one.
HondaG100
Guide

Postby lefty » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:23 pm

Thanks Honda. I'm 45 years old and just recently started into small engines about a year or so ago. I have to say, it was exhilarating to break that thing down, put it back together and have it fire up, with everyone's help here of course. Most guys I know remember doing it in school, of which I never had the pleasure. So it's like being a kid again.

Thanks for mentioning about the metal shavings. You've saved me from the massive coronary I would have had when I find them in the oil.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:10 pm

So just to refresh everyone's memory, this is the briggs I just rebuilt. (Don't be shy and let me know if new issues should be in a separate thread.)

124T02-1227-B1

Code: 0811459

The machine is a Craftsman 917.376220

So everything is going well. I have a new problem though and it doesn't seem to be starting as easy. I have to pull it over several times, sometimes 10 times or so, before it will start but then runs well. Upon a closer look, I noticed that it doesn't seem to be priming. This machine has the primer on the air housing so the primer bulb has a little hole in it.

I changed the bulb cause I had one laying around and I have a new gasket between the air housing and carb intake, installed correctly. The pathway through the housing is clear and the vent hole on the carb is clear and clean as I cleaned it well when I cleaned the carb. When I remove it and push the bulb, I don't feel like there is a strong air force. Also, when it's installed and I prime it, I can't hear any gurgling, can't see any fuel entering the carb and can't smell any, which I can usually hear, see and smell on other machines. Has anyone encountered this? Any advice as to what to check next. Like I said, eventually she pulls over and runs like a champ ( or at least that's how it sounds to me)
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:30 pm

This a classic problem with this type of air cleaner base. They either warp from age and heat or from being over tighten or both. What happening is the air cleaner base gasket is not sealing. Remove the gasket and look at the area of contact and you will find area of non-contact. The remedy I use part of a second glued to the back of first gasket to force it make contact and seal. Some had success just using two complete gaskets but never have much luck with that method. Also when re-installing don't over tighten the screws. If remember correctly it is only 30-35 in-lbs. I usually just tighten with new setup until I get a good contact and good priming.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:41 pm

I see. That makes sense. In lieu of a 2nd gasket, would you be ok with a little rtv silicone on the area? Or maybe just a piece of a random gasket I have laying around?
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:50 pm

lefty wrote:I see. That makes sense. In lieu of a 2nd gasket, would you be ok with a little rtv silicone on the area? Or maybe just a piece of a random gasket I have laying around?

I never use two or partial gaskets.
I use red rtv applied sparingly to the AF base ridge outline using a toothpick.
Never failed to work for me.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby lefty » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:18 pm

Thanks guys. The silicone worked wonders. Primes nicely now.

One last question, I hope.....

So I don't know if this is in my head, paranoia or what but I think I hear a slight knocking. I'm in about 50 minutes of run time at this point. To be honest, I can't say if I've heard it from the beginning or if I'm just paranoid. I have a video of the machine running I could post if it would be helpful.

It's a little dark but audible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs_F--xT1Yc
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:32 pm

Fulltilt wrote:
lefty wrote:I see. That makes sense. In lieu of a 2nd gasket, would you be ok with a little rtv silicone on the area? Or maybe just a piece of a random gasket I have laying around?

Personally I don't as it is only .50 for two AM gaskets and time of essence here. Don't want be waiting for the RTV to cure or risk it getting the passages but it not one of mine nor one of my customer's machines. If customer can't afford a dollar for a couple gaskets then they can carry it to a makeshift patcher. I do professional work.

But of course Fulltilt you probably would use RTV on a head gasket too. I know someone did on engine I had in here last Fall.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:59 pm

KE4AVB wrote:
Fulltilt wrote:

Personally I don't as it is only .50 for two AM gaskets and time of essence here. Don't want be waiting for the RTV to cure or risk it getting the passages but it not one of mine nor one of my customer's machines. If customer can't afford a dollar for a couple gaskets then they can carry it to a makeshift patcher. I do professional work.

But of course Fulltilt you probably would use RTV on a head gasket too. I know someone did on engine I had in here last Fall.

No doubt: The remedy I use part of a second glued to the back of first gasket to force it make contact and seal. Some had success just using two complete gaskets but never have much luck with that method.
Interesting. So what part is NOT makeshift patching here....

" I do professional work."
Sounds like professional PATCHING to me....

Aw man, you found out my secret !
Actually I have been known to use silver spray paint on some head gaskets...been using it since the mid sixties...works really well, when needed. Ask any knowledgeable mechanic... go ahead, I'll wait...

" Thanks guys. The silicone worked wonders. Primes nicely now. " 'Nuff said...
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby lefty » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:10 pm

Any opinion on this knocking thing? I was going to put her through her paces today with a quick mow of about 10,000 sf but didn't want to get too deep if there is a correctable problem at this point.
lefty
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum