• Advertisement

Briggs & Stratton Crank

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Briggs & Stratton Crank

Postby Fulltilt » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:20 pm

lefty wrote:Any opinion on this knocking thing? I was going to put her through her paces today with a quick mow of about 10,000 sf but didn't want to get too deep if there is a correctable problem at this point.

Slap some straight 30wt. oil in it and cut some grass.

Oh yeah, and don't forget to add a couple of squeezes of RTV in with the oil...that will quiet it down!
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby lefty » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:24 pm

Fulltilt wrote:

Oh yeah, and don't forget to add a couple of squeezes of RTV in with the oil...that will quiet it down!

Not to sound naive but I'm a newby...is that a facetious comment for KE4 or is that something I should do?
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:32 pm

lefty wrote:
Fulltilt wrote:

Not to sound naive but I'm a newby...is that a facetious comment for KE4 or is that something I should do?

Just fill it with 30wt. oil for gawds sake. Sheesh!!!
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:37 pm

Just keep it up Fulltilt I'm not in the mood today.

AVB
Admin

Either way at least the fused gasket is easily removed by the next tech. None of the scraping of RTV.

Anyway have fun for I am going dark on the helping here. I have already quit posting requests for help on my problems as no one ever seems to want to help with them or it may they are simply too difficult for the members.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:44 pm

KE4. I appreciate everyone's help and especially yours, as you have been gracious from the beginning. Thank you for taking the time. I truly enjoy this work and don't know what I would do without your help and the help of this forum.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:30 pm

so i ran this for another 15 minutes or so mowing the lawn. That put me at about an hour plus so I figured oil change as advised. Drained the oil and added new sae 30. Pulled it once and it didn't start, which is not a big deal of course. Pulled it a second time and she locked. Can't pull her over. Pulled the plug to make sure it wasn't a hydro situation. What's my next move? If any.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:43 pm

lefty wrote:so i ran this for another 15 minutes or so mowing the lawn. That put me at about an hour plus so I figured oil change as advised. Drained the oil and added new sae 30. Pulled it once and it didn't start, which is not a big deal of course. Pulled it a second time and she locked. Can't pull her over. Pulled the plug to make sure it wasn't a hydro situation. What's my next move? If any.

Well, pull the bail, try using the blade. If it won't turn by using the blade, pop the cover/shroud and check the coil for interference. If no luck, trash it.
As an aside, do you remember the part where I said to use moly assembly lube on the bone dry/clean crank/rod ???? Well did you? I'll bet not.
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby lefty » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:44 pm

I used assembly lube on every....and I mean every part, including the rod and crank.

So before I go on, please remember that this is a personal project, for learning purposes. I understand that there is a bail out point on all jobs but I'm not looking to make money on this project. I'm looking to learn.

That said, I started disassembling and once I got the shroud off and was able to get my hands on the flywheel, I was able to turn the motor over and once it was free, it moved nicely. I then did a leak down and found that I was loosing about 45% through the crank case..nothing noticeable through the carb or the exhaust. So I took the head off and notice a pretty good chunk taken from the cylinder wall about an inch or so down. So I'm switching to forensic mode and plan to disassemble to see where I went wrong. Maybe I'll find a chunk of ring or something in the case. Not sure. But I definitely want to lean from this experience so any input in that vein is welcome. I know this is a "failure" in the engine repair world. But to me, it's just a set back in a learning process. This is the first time for me.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby StarTech » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:09 pm

Good attitude to have. That how I learn 2 cycle repair, I went out brought a truck load mower equipment from a shop that was going out business. He gave nearly another truckload of 2 cycle equipment he no idea of how to repair. I repaired about 75% of it but I also had a steep learning curve. Even from every failure I learned things that made my troubleshooting techniques better.

My advice that I given was take things slow and keeps notes if needed about my failures and successful repairs. If you working on something new and feel uncomfortable about how to re assemble things and you have a camera phone take pictures and refer to them in reverse order upon re-assembly. Above all don't be afraid to ask for help, we all have been there before ourselves. On top that even the best of us needs help sometimes or as you just experience have an engine failure after spent a lot time repairing one. I had several years that I had already call the customer to come and pickup. While it was idling it throw a rod; I felt like an idiot but it was beyond my control as there some unknown damage that I was aware of.
StarTech

Postby lefty » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:33 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words Starfire. I'm hanging in there...all go no quit.
lefty
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum