• Advertisement

Mower drive belt problems!?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Mower drive belt problems!?

Postby Fulltilt » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:01 am

Speaking of belts, this place sells Kevlar wrapped belts. I checked with them and they do indeed make Kevlar fabric wrapped belts. Look for a KC suffix, as in A32 KC ( kevlar covered )
Regular Kevlar corded belts would be like A32K or AK32, depending on mfg.
http://beltpalace.com/
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby Arkie » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:23 am

KE4AVB wrote:It can and I think 96" will be too loose. I have a MTD that uses a 77-1/2 belt deck belt. If you put on a 77" you can not disengage the deck and it actually overloads the engine when engaged.

On the subject of being label a particular part I have seen some mislabel belts in the last. Example of this was the 42-3/4 belt I was receiving intended to replace the 43.2" on a walk behind trimmer. In this range even 1/4" is a world of difference. I manage to get a 43" to work but took heavy mods to the brake location so the brake would loosen enough to allow the belt to slip in disengaged position.

Common problem with Generic replacement belts and a PITA especially on the type of MTD mowers that use the deck lifting and a slight shift forward to loosen the belt method and then contact brake pads to stop the blade rotation.
I've have to keep a log of the belt manufacturer and vendor and have had to go to 1 inch longer belts on some MTD mowers to get a blade stop with a new belt. The belt keepers will have to be in proper use and location as the belt wears in.
Kevlar type belts seem to be little bit more precise in their lengths and stay more precise in length during break-in when used on the mtd type mowers.
If Bubba has messed up the deck adjustments previously even a correct belt will not get a dis-engauge. Sometimes guy just have to knuckle down with a service manual and take time and confirm that all the adjustments are correct.

The blade brake pads and slight shift forward of the deck for blade did-engauge is not a very good safety design, but again that seems to be the norm when you see MTD type eq. :popcorn:

and I've seen when trying to go by a manu part number on a ebay search for a replacement v belt, the same seller may have as many as 3 different sizes for v belts belts using the same part number in separate listings. (roll the dice )You really don't know what size generic belt you are going to receive from those type sellers)

I asked a ebay seller why they had 3 different size v belts listed using same OEM part number and even the seller honestly answered they did not know why????(and seller did not seem to care why and never did correct their listings about such)
Last edited by Arkie on Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:36 am

And boy those rear pulling springs a workout. :lol: Had to make a custom puller for installing them. Glad most of them are gone from my area.

Also mentioning MTD does knows about the problem with the F deck brakes and will not fix the problem. They designed wrong and will not enter the pulleys correctly.

When it comes to the MTD Cub Cadets I have receive OEM spec belts from Stens that where 1/2" to replace a 7/16". They will not work due clearance issues. It also same problems with some the 5/8" that suppose to replace the B sec belts.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:58 am

KE4AVB wrote:And boy those rear pulling springs a workout. :lol: Had to make a custom puller for installing them. Glad most of them are gone from my area.

Also mentioning MTD does knows about the problem with the F deck brakes and will not fix the problem. They designed wrong and will not enter the pulleys correctly.

When it comes to the MTD Cub Cadets I have receive OEM spec belts from Stens that where 1/2" to replace a 7/16". They will not work due clearance issues. It also same problems with some the 5/8" that suppose to replace the B sec belts.

Those rear springs on MTD. I still remember first time I encountered re-installing one of those. I knew when I took it loose it was going to be a pain to re-install and when I got back to a re-install I had previous plans burning in my brain. (could smell wood burning)

I made a puller for those springs also and have it in a tool box that is labeled MTD TOOLS only, and the tool storage box is for MTD tools only. Did not want try to use MTD homemade tools on other eq., so I keep them MTD tools quarantined. ;)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:00 pm

oppps... mine not quarantine. I use my pullers on nearly every mower that need springs attached. Working on a super heavy puller for JD ZTRs and a YTH2448 that nearly breaks my current heavy puller; needing stronger hook tip for those big springs.

I have yet to see any little MTDEEREVARNA machines running around but there are rumors of them. :lol:
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:05 pm

With respect to MTD springs that seat safety spring is a tough one. Got lucky a few times but this time I'm restricted as to effort I should exert for a while. I made a loop of aircraft cable that extended to rear of body. I used a long screwdriver as a lever against body to pull the wire loop which now remains on the mower.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:47 pm

Back to belts....

A lot new and uninformed techs and end users assume just because a v-belt is the right length and is close enough width wise it should work. Well there a lot other factors involved on the selection of the correct belt. Four of the most common factors besides length is width, pitch, depth, and if covered or not. Then of course there comes in if it needs to be a Kevlar or not. Kevlar belt will not work in all applications. In some we need the extra stretch of a regular belt to lessen a shock load. I had seen Kevlar belts snap and when replaced with a non Kevlar no more belt breakage. Just like fabric belt provide more of air cushion sometimes we don't want this and then a raw edge gets used for the extra gripping power.

The reason MTDs seems so picky is that they are design to use A Section , very close to 1/2" but not the same; and B section belts which very close to the 5/8" v-belt but have a different profile too. Many after market vendors will simply sell a 1/2" or 5/8" in a will fit size. This cause many headaches to the installer.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:37 pm

i got a free mtd mower from a friend when they put generic 5/8 s on it. concluded varidrive pulley was bad and went to HD and bought a JD.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Tue May 02, 2017 1:29 pm

KE4AVB, thank you very much for your response along with everyone else! I did order the 95 1/2" belt and it works perfectly!
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Wed May 03, 2017 12:04 pm

AND

I've ordered a vari drive belt sets and when the set arrived one of the belts would be wrong size.

I've even seen them listed as a matched OEM set on computer for vari drives but further checking of their listed sizes one of the belts would be wrong size.

Wasting your time usually only replacing one of those vari drive belts. Vari drive belts needs to both wear in at same time, most often.
I've seen few that had new belts on the vari drives and one of the belt wrong and owner out several dollars due to getting wrong sizes, then installing and blaming other things, such a the vari drive pulley being bad. I've removed and unstuck and cleaned a few of the vari drive sliding pulleys and not a fun job.

Have to keep a heads up on vari drive belts and belt vendors. :popcorn:
Arkie
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum