• Advertisement

Briggs & Stratton Crank

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Briggs & Stratton Crank

Postby Arkie » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:43 am

Can you post some pic's of the cylinder damage? (and side of piston that damage was on, etc)

AND

all of us have seen worse. At least it was yours and not a customers. If it had been a customers you would be shelling out for a new motor out of your own pocket or lose several customers.

I like to experiment on Bro in Laws equipment. He don't come around much any more, which is a good thing. (just kidding ;) )
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:45 am

You may have had trash/bits in the case that weren't cleaned out, could be the crank wasn't polished enough, hard to say. I've rescued a couple cranks, but I spent a lot of time polishing the journal, probably wasn't worth it...
Was the piston / rod installed correctly? Right piston / rings ? Did you de-glaze the cylinder? Check the ring end gaps? Liberally oil the piston/rings , etc before assembly ? Maybe some bits of carbon broke loose from the valve/s.

Well, at least you got the pin locks in place, right?
I gotta tell you, I was somewhat surprised to learn of the intact pin/clips.

That is why most shops, ( myself included ) would rather install a new shortblock or engine. As you found out, a lot of labor intensive work goes into an engine rebuild ( even without the crank issues) , and it makes more economic sense to just do a shortblock/motor.

Obviously working on your own stuff can be fun and rewarding, usually both...or not!
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby lefty » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:44 pm

Thank you everyone. I'm going through these check lists right now. Whilst I do, I wanted to post some photos of my handy work. But photobucket is busting my balls right now. So I'm still working on that.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Fri May 05, 2017 7:23 pm

As much as I'd like to post pictures for this one, I'm going to have to abandon. The machine is obviously done and photo bucket is a big bucket of turd. I have been having a huge problem post pics with them.
lefty
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum