• Advertisement

Help with Grasshopper Hydraulics

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Help with Grasshopper Hydraulics

Postby RMR » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:19 pm

I've got a Grasshopper 614 that I went and picked up at the customers house yesterday and brought it to the shop for a bad solenoid and to straighten up some hacked up wiring. To get it on the trailer, I jumped it by bypassing the solenoid and drove it on the trailer and it did great. Rather than unloading it, I just backed the trailer in the shop and did the repairs there. Once fixed, I started it and it ran just fine, but I didn't drive it. Last night I pulled it out of the shop and it sat outside in the rain, but I wasn't too concerned, as it has lived it's whole life outside. Well today, I back it in to the shop again, out of the rain, to bolt the fender back on before returning it. I fired it up, and it ran for two seconds and bogged down and died like the motor seized. After some troubleshooting, I found the right side pump to be almost seized up. With the belt off, I can turn it with a wrench on the bolt, but it is very tight. the left pump spins by hand as it should. My two questions here are, what would cause this out of the blue, and is this pump trash as I suspect?

Thanks.
RMR
RMR
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Help with Grasshopper Hydraulics

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:12 pm

With it being at '99 or older it possible that a bearing may have seized. I had a Toro that one of hydro only lock-up after sitting a week or more.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby RMR » Mon May 01, 2017 9:07 am

That's kind of what I was thinking it would be. At first when I couldn't rotate it at all with the pulley, I was thinking something broke off inside and lodged it's self. Then When I was able to turn it with a wrench a little, I started thinking bearings. I haven't had time to tear into it yet, but I'm really hoping it's something simple, but I have my doubts. I'm not afraid to tear into this thing and replace bearings if I need to.

Here is another business related question. I have been doing this since 2009 and have never had a situation quite like this, so I'm on the fence as to which way to approach this. Since it drove onto my trailer at the customers residence, and showed no signs of trouble, yet now in my possesion, it is basically useless due to the pump problem, Do I eat the cost of repairs, or put this on the customer. I'm confident I didn't cause the problem, but I'm sure the customer will look at it as, he didn't cause the problem either. Any advice here would be great too please....

-RMR
RMR
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Mon May 01, 2017 9:37 am

Now this where we need a little input from others members here. I only been servicing small engines like you since '09.

For me I would simply write off the current repairs if it proves that the Hydro is un-repairable but if the hydro is repairable and the client declines the estimate then I would charge estimate fee so I could recoup some my materials used costs. Labor is always for me a write-off as it is just my time.

And for breaking down due to unrelated failure that is how used equipment is; anything can fail at anytime. Failures are like this is usually not on either one of you but is the nature of equipment. As long you didn't cause the failure then it is on the client. Sure the client will want you just do it for free but stick to what is right.

Now this is just how I operate here as most clients will never tell you the whole story up front. Just my opinion here.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon May 01, 2017 10:18 am

I wonder.. by any chance did you check to see if any stray pieces of wiring wrapped around the pump fan and pulley???
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Mon May 01, 2017 10:22 am

bgsengine wrote:I wonder.. by any chance did you check to see if any stray pieces of wiring wrapped around the pump fan and pulley???

Good question as I have seen v-belt cords wrap pulley shafts before. They are pain to get out PTO clutches too.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby RMR » Mon May 01, 2017 10:52 am

bg, No wires in the way. Everything is clear from the pump and I've even removed the belt. I did learn today that the mower has been sitting since last December out in the weather. I'm now thinking that the short time that I had it running was just enough to heat up a bearing making it seize. I noticed the left pump reservoir has some moisture under the cap, however the right pump, that is in question does not show signs of moisture. However, I can easily see a wet rusty bearing locking up after a few high speed rev's. I just explained through text (he's hard of hearing) to the customer the possibilities, and that I wouldn't know for sure unless I tore into it. Waiting on a response....

-RMR
RMR
Forum Regular

Postby RMR » Thu May 04, 2017 6:55 pm

Ok, I'm not finding any help on an internal diagram for the hyro pump. I've got the cover pulled and the outer shaft bearing is in good shape and the internals, down to what I have disassembled looks good, ie not broken parts or moisture. However, I haven't figured out how to dig any deeper. Pardon me for the lack of knowledge on terminology, but the round part in the center of this pic is what will not rotate freely. I can't figure out how to tear it down any further to investigate why. Not that it really matters though because I haven't found any parts for it yet. Anyone got any more insight?

I found this a bit odd. See the zip tie down in the corner? It's attached to something. Surely that can't be factory, right??
For what its worth, the wheel axle will rotate normally, so I'm not sure it would do any good to pull the axle shaft housing...
RMR
Forum Regular

Postby bgsengine » Thu May 04, 2017 7:56 pm

Would you happen to have the pump's make and model and serial numbers? might be helpful to identify what it is we're looking at , and maybe someone has service info for it.

Could be a Sundstrand, Hydrogear, Eaton, TurfTorq or whatever - all different brands and engineering..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Thu May 04, 2017 7:57 pm

I thinking it is the Eaton 771.

Can you Verify if it is the Eaton 771? If so I can send you the service manual.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum