• Advertisement

Briggs opposed twin

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs opposed twin

Postby Luffydog » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:16 pm

42a707-1251-01. Here is the issue. The original engine has blown up and someone has changed the motor out and put this opposed In its place. Tractor is a husquvarna that had a Briggs in it before. Here lies the problem. The unit is not charging is the complaint. I haven't test the stator yet to see if it is working like it should at this time. The wires coming from the stator are their and are black and red. The red goes to the + side of the battery and the black goes to the - side of battery. This unit does have an electric clutch. The black wire coming from the stator is the ? Here first one that I have had to be like this replaced with the wires ran like they are. Just like to know where the black wire should go. Thanks for any help.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Briggs opposed twin

Postby 38racing » Mon May 01, 2017 7:54 am

I would expect it had the dual system and the red with diode sends DC to battery and the black would be AC for lights. That dual is challenged with an electric clutch although I know Ariens used it on one of their models that a friend owns. I found an article and I'm going to re-wire a stator to produce more AC to a regulator for him.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon May 01, 2017 8:38 am

I figured Fulltilt would have an answer by now.

38, You can get up to an 5A output if you just add the voltage regulator to it for the Dual circuit as the dual circuit w/o reg is only 2-4 amp output or change it over to the 15 amp stator with a voltage regulator. Most PTO clutches needs around 4-5 amps. Much easier than hand rewinding the stator. With 15 amp it wouldn't produce the 15 amp but should give you about 10 amps due to the smaller flywheel magnets.

See the Briggs alternator guides in the downloads.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Mon May 01, 2017 11:29 am

The black is an AC feed for lights etc. It should not be grounded, that winding is probably smoked
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon May 01, 2017 11:38 am

KE4AVB wrote:I figured Fulltilt would have an answer by now.

38, You can get up to an 5A output if you just add the voltage regulator to it for the Dual circuit as the dual circuit w/o reg is only 2-4 amp output or change it over to the 15 amp stator with a voltage regulator. Most PTO clutches needs around 4-5 amps. Much easier than hand rewinding the stator. With 15 amp it wouldn't produce the 15 amp but should give you about 10 amps due to the smaller flywheel magnets.

That add-on regulator is quite pricey up here in Canada and the regulator to use on a re-wound stator not so much . Thought it would be a nice experiment.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon May 01, 2017 1:02 pm

38racing wrote:
KE4AVB wrote:I figured Fulltilt would have an answer by now.

That add-on regulator is quite pricey up here in Canada and the regulator to use on a re-wound stator not so much . Thought it would be a nice experiment.

No problem with experimenting, just make sure amour enamel wire for the windings. Depending on the gauge that can be on the expensive side too. I used a lot it back when I was repairing homemade linear amps RF chokes and toroidal transformers
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Mon May 01, 2017 2:27 pm

So the wire would go directly into the lights wire or at the light switch or can I put it directly to clutch wire? I was thinking it was smoked as well. I never really noticed how they was wired up really this is the first that I have had that wasn't charging on this type engine. The way they have it I knew something wasn't right after looking and finding that it was the coil wire. Guessing it doesn't have enough output the run the clutch. They just threw another engine on it and took off. Some kind of mess.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon May 01, 2017 2:43 pm

Luffydog wrote:So the wire would go directly into the lights wire or at the light switch or can I put it directly to clutch wire? I was thinking it was smoked as well. I never really noticed how they was wired up really this is the first that I have had that wasn't charging on this type engine. The way they have it I knew something wasn't right after looking and finding that it was the coil wire. Guessing it doesn't have enough output the run the clutch. They just threw another engine on it and took off. Some kind of mess.

No because many PTO clutches have an internal diode that would also short the AC to ground on the negative half wave.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Mon May 01, 2017 3:30 pm

Thanks for the help never know these days what kind of problems u might run into. Worked on them before but haven't this issues before and the wires being cut and run around like they are to the batteries. And your comment about fultilt didn't u band someone before that had that kind of attitude towards others?
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Mon May 01, 2017 3:52 pm

Could you change out the stator and add the a regulator to this and make it work?
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum