• Advertisement

Welch plug kit.

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Welch plug kit.

Postby Arkie » Mon May 01, 2017 8:39 pm

Anyone know of a welch plug kit for small engine carbs?

Selection of different sizes for small engine and chainsaw carbs, etc

I was kinda surprised that a search did not come up with anything :o
Arkie
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Welch plug kit.

Postby KE4AVB » Mon May 01, 2017 8:43 pm

Arkie, I don't know of one either but what I do is save all my spares from the kits that I don't used. For the round one you probably get by using a doming tool that HF has if you have a way to make the circle cutouts.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon May 01, 2017 8:47 pm

None that I am aware of even back in the 80's they could still be hard to find and we'd save unused welch plugs from carb kits for that very reason Problem is there really is not any universal size and differences as small as half a millimeter can be a make or break issue you got your metric plugs and then your standard inch size plugs and variations in thicknesses, variations in dome, etc. I think it would be very very hard to come up with a universal welch plug kit that would fit enough different applications to even be worth the investment.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Arkie » Tue May 02, 2017 6:58 am

Sure dread the search for just a single little measly welch plug every once in awhile. (digging around thru my old saved kits, etc)

I send a little welch plug into orbit every once in awhile even while trying to be careful with low pressure air and sometimes see it few months later after I had dug thru several old carb kits for a replacement.
See that Briggs offers a few Welch plug only replacements.

I accidently send a little welch plug into orbit every once in awhile even while trying to be careful with low pressure air and sometimes see it few months later while sweeping or cleaning after I had dug thru several old carb kits for a replacement.

I normally do not remove a welch plug unless the carb is not coming around with a normal cleaning and especially if I know a replacement is not in a carb kit.

I have a little screen wire catch cage that I use to catch the welch plug when I do a on purpose air pressure removal.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue May 02, 2017 7:49 am

What worse Arkie is when a carb comes in and someone removed one those plugs that the OEM doesn't sell them. I had to replace a Zama on a Stihl last year because the plug over the main was awol. It one those that Stihl has exclusive rights to.

Sometime you can file down a larger plug to fit but you got to be nearly perfect round for it to work.

I haven't blown any them out but have lost a few of those Nikki jets though due those bad o-rings. Glad I don't need replace them just because I need those tiny o-rings anymore. I hated having to wait on replacement jets that I could stock as there are so many different sizes.

You found out that is a problem so you know to be more careful from now on. ;)
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum