• Advertisement

Briggs only runs on partial choke, muffler glows red

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs only runs on partial choke, muffler glows red

Postby JonCraig » Wed May 03, 2017 9:39 am

Homelite Generator that sat out in a barn or under a carport for who knows how many years. I tried rebuilding the carb, but it was all corroded and a lost cause. I bought a cheapie china carb (I know, I know...). Now I can get the engine to run, but only with the carb on ~80% choke. It dies on full choke. The muffler is glowing red, which I believe to be an indicator that I'm running lean. Problem is, when I turn the lower screw CCW much more than 1/8 of a turn, the engine dies. I even tried opening up the adjustment *while* slowly opening up the choke (thinking maybe I was putting in too much gas). Still dies.

This is one of those "briggs updraft" type carbs. Any help would certainly be appreciated!

Briggs 194417
Type 0107
Code 90112010

JonCraig
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Briggs only runs on partial choke, muffler glows red

Postby acscolo » Wed May 03, 2017 10:21 am

Possibilities -
Running lean: Check for air leaks at intake and carb gasket, since it's a Chinese carb remove it and clean it again
Mouse nest on cooling fins and inside cowling
Late ignition timing: partial sheared flywheel key
Leaking exhaust valve
acscolo

Postby JonCraig » Wed May 03, 2017 10:39 am

Found my issue. Was definitely running lean. Turns out upon assembly whoever put the hi-speed needle in rammed it hard into the main jet. So hard, in fact, that when I was trying to turn the needle CCW, I was loosening the whole orifice tube/main jet/whatever nomenclature you want to call it. I assume that my 1/8 turn til it died was enough to unseat the jet and completely stop the carb from sucking fuel through the jet. Hence why it fell on its face.

I don't like using chinese carbs. This is the 2nd one I've ever used, and both times I've had to correct an assembly problem. I guess I can't complain for the price, but I know that I regularly see forum posts telling guys to just buy a whole new carb when they have fuel troubles. They say that since a kit is $10, and a new carb is $15, it makes no sense to rebuild the OEM carb. For me, I only buy a new carb when the original is too far gone. For example, on this generator, everything was coated with that white corrosion and/or rust. The needle tips were corroded such that they didn't even make a good tip anymore. Hence why I decided to go for a whole new carb.

For me, if a kit will fix a real, name-brand carb, that's the way to go. Cuts down on headaches, I believe. YMMV, of course.
JonCraig
Forum Regular

Postby bobodu » Thu May 04, 2017 5:02 am

Quite honestly...I would not expect an OEM to be adjusted out of the box..... I have one of those carbs on an old Simplicity that needs adjusted almost every time I run it.
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Technical Discussion Forum